Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following electrical problem with my 69 z28. It has electronic ignition (Mallory power cell, coil and distributor). When I turn the engine over I get a spark either out of the coil wire or spark plug wires, but only initially (i.e. one spark). If I continue turning over the engine, no more spark until I let off on the ignition switch and bingo one more spark jump across. Could this be the ignition switch? Does anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't appear to be the coil, distributor or power cell. One other note, a pack rat gnawed some of the wires, but I believe they have all been replaced, but perhaps I missed one and its still shorting out somehow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You may want to try starting the car using a remote starter switch while the key switch is on. This should isolate a problem with the key switch. Just be sure someone is in the car while you're doing this...

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hmmmm, sounds like the old chryslers when the ballst resistor got fried, with the key on check the Pos. side of the coil for 12 volts,
It should also be around 12 volts when cranking.
If no 12 volts when cranking trace the yellow wire down to the starter solinoid,
if no 12 volts with the key on trace the resistor (Yellow white wire with a funny insulation) or just try bypassing and run a jumper wire from the battery to the pos side of the coil, you will have to pull this wire off to shut the engine off.
try that and let us know the results,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts