Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help identifying this SBC engine. The casting number is 3932338. Everything I have seen online lists it as a 1962-67 283. It has a hole in the back by the distributor for a road draft tube which makes sense on a 283. The casting date looks like C128 (Mar 12, 1968). It has a spin on oil filter. It is not an aftermarket spin on adapter but a real 1968 and up spin on oil filter. The suffix on the front pad is stamped 02XBC. I can't find a listing for this suffix code anywhere.

I have always believed that all 1956-66 (and most 1967) SBC engines were small journal, had a hole for a road draft tube, and except for Chevy II engines had canister oil filters. Starting with the first 1968 models the 283 was dropped and the 307 replaced it. Also in 1968 the vent hole for the road draft tube disappeared, medium journal crankshafts were used on all SBC engines, and all engines were equipped with spin on oil filters.

So what do you think this is?

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
So, now you can search to see if you can find Canadian stamping codes, marine as in boat codes, farm machinery codes, as in harvesting equipment, industrial or military uses. Don't forget to search out engines used in Avanti and Checker taxis too.

I'm betting on Canadian though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Appears to be a '69 350 (255hp) truck block.
XB = 4bbl, manual trans.

Could have been mis-stamped, and then corrected with the addition of a single "C"

XC = 4bbl. PG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts