Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the addition of Vintage Air, eFans, a PWM fan controller, a new alternator, and RS electric headlight doors, I'm trying to clean up the wiring on my car under the hood. I started unraveling a wrapped line that ended going to nowhere and I came across a fairly heavy wire that could be either pink or faded red... looks to be around 10 gauge and it ends in what looks like a factory black spade connector.

I asked on FB and goy all kind of suggestions, I sent a picture to Larry Dubois because I wasn't even sure of what it was looking at his charts. Larry wasn't 100% sure, but since it might be pink-is, he said it might be related to ignition. The battery is not in the car and my wiring project is on hold because I'm having hand surgery tomorrow. But maybe somebody here wants to take a shot.

IMG_2712.JPG IMG_8722.JPG

Thats a close up of it. It ends just forward of the master cylinder, and was covered and zip tied to the harness that's going up to the core support.

IMG_3563.JPG

As you can see, its a nice chunky wire. I have Pertronics in the distributor and a Pertronics coil... could it be a coil wire? I tried tracing it backwards to the firewall and its covered and zip tied parallel to the harness back there, but then it comes out of its sheath and U-Turns back into the other harness. The wires are old and original, but in decent enough shape, but between the booster, the hood hinge and everything else, I can't really get into that firewall connector to see if its connected there.

IMG_4966.JPG

So go at it... once I get all my stitches out I'll get back to work and eventually put the battery in and see if its hot LOL. But I'm stumped right now.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
With the addition of Vintage Air, eFans, a PWM fan controller, a new alternator, and RS electric headlight doors, I'm trying to clean up the wiring on my car under the hood. I started unraveling a wrapped line that ended going to nowhere and I came across a fairly heavy wire that could be either pink or faded red... looks to be around 10 gauge and it ends in what looks like a factory black spade connector.

I asked on FB and goy all kind of suggestions, I sent a picture to Larry Dubois because I wasn't even sure of what it was looking at his charts. Larry wasn't 100% sure, but since it might be pink-is, he said it might be related to ignition. The battery is not in the car and my wiring project is on hold because I'm having hand surgery tomorrow. But maybe somebody here wants to take a shot.

View attachment 266443 View attachment 266445

Thats a close up of it. It ends just forward of the master cylinder, and was covered and zip tied to the harness that's going up to the core support.

IMG_3563.JPG

As you can see, its a nice chunky wire. I have Pertronics in the distributor and a Pertronics coil... could it be a coil wire? I tried tracing it backwards to the firewall and its covered and zip tied parallel to the harness back there, but then it comes out of its sheath and U-Turns back into the other harness. The wires are old and original, but in decent enough shape, but between the booster, the hood hinge and everything else, I can't really get into that firewall connector to see if its connected there.

View attachment 266447

So go at it... once I get all my stitches out I'll get back to work and eventually put the battery in and see if its hot LOL. But I'm stumped right now.

Mike
Good luck on your surgery.
Sometimes working on wiring without the battery or not wanting full amps, I hook up a battery charger. Enough power to trace wiring but not damage anything.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Not that many large gauge wires under the hood. Original HEI would be pink, but that came years later. Blower is large, but orange. There is nothing that big with that kind of terminal on my car. Did the car have any options on the driver's side like maybe Cruse control?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Could it have been a feed wire to a relay that might have controlled a convertible top or maybe power door locks, or power windows ?.

Gotta wonder if it is original to the car or if someone might have added it at some point.

Jim

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
I think it's an add on with an original style Packard 56 connector. I pulled all the wiring out of my car not that long ago and I had nothing like that. The fact it's in some plastic sheath makes me think it was a high amperage add for almost anything.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I think it's an add on with an original style Packard 56 connector. I pulled all the wiring out of my car not that long ago and I had nothing like that. The fact it's in some plastic sheath makes me think it was a high amperage add for almost anything.
It might be for an idle control solenoid. Some cars were equipped with them from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As best as I can tell, the car is an X44 coupe, the only options being a small block V8, automatic, power steering, and I think dual exhausts. A 50 year old car has probably had numerous owners, and many of them probably hacked up the wiring, dash, radio cutout, whatever. I think you guys are probably right, somebody added that wire somewhere along the way.

I've been putting off this surgery for months because of the Covid19 risks, it's finally gotten to the point where I think it's safe enough. Sunday morning I had to go for a pre-surgery Covid test, found out today that I didn't test positive. Should be pretty routine but having two incisions with stitches in my right hand will be tricky when it comes to messing with the car.

Mike

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Good luck! I am sure it is not the case but maybe it's your left hand if you are right handed or the other way around. Seems more likely it'll be the hand you need the most but either way, it'll probably heal up quickly - lots of circulation in the hand.

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
I had all my wiring apart and found many 'loose' wires in the loom and elsewhere that were not original. With that corrugated wrap around it and zip tie, who knows what previous owners had on there. Maybe a power feed for a big stereo system? Maybe a fan on a radiator that is long gone... there are color coded maps of the wiring somewhere on here I think. Just find the other end of it and see where that went.? :)

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim... Your guess is as good as mine. Because of the corrugated plastic wrap, and that being zip tied to the real harness it had to be something done post-production by someone in its past life. I have Larrys color coded maps, even had the smarts to print them out a few years ago and bound them into a nice flip page "book" that I keep in the garage for reference. And when I was stumped I reached out to Larry, emailed him pix and he was also stumped.

As an aside, my surgery went fine, and unfortunately I'm right-handed and my hand is still numb 10 hours after the surgery. The doc gave me 3-days worth (6 pills) of oxycodene for the pain but I'm winging it with extra strength Tylenol and will try not to take the opioids. The bummer is I have to keep my hand elevated higher than my heart as much as possible, and my finger is immobilized in a sort of soft cast. No messing with the car for now anyways. Typing is hunt and peck with left hand for a day or so. LOL it's really awkward but not that bad.

Mike

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
59 Posts
I have the same wire and it is incorporated into an original wire loom. It is hot only when the ignition is on. Maybe the guys at American Autowire could help. They have been outstanding when I call and ask questions.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same wire and it is incorporated into an original wire loom. It is hot only when the ignition is on. Maybe the guys at American Autowire could help. They have been outstanding when I call and ask questions.
Not a bad idea... I've contacted them before and they were very quick to respond. I'll drop a line to my contact there, maybe he'll have a clue.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts