Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerry MacNeish says steering parts, tie rods, steering box, brake switch, linkage, all to be "Natural Metal Finish". He mentions Seymour "Cast Blast" or using a light coat of WB grease. I've not been able to find the Seymour product and WB grease wouldn't get it for a car driven once in a while. Eastwood has a "Detail Gray" but not sure how correct that would look. I've got to think this is a common thing guys run into during a restoration. What do you guys do to get, and keep these items looking correct? What aboout the front coil springs? Thanks for the help. Also thanks to davidpozzi for pointing me in the right direction! John

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I can attest to Metal Mask's quality. Be sure to apply with a foam brush though, blotting it on. Gives a much more realistic finish.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i just used a nice gray and cleared it.Maybe not original but what the heck it looks sweet.Did my tierods,centerlink and calipers in it too.You can see the steering box by clicking on my sig.

------------------
Check my progress here

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wasnt happy with the way the spray bombs hold up,especially on bare metal.If you want it to last,use epoxy primer then paint it.I used epoxy primer then basecoat/clearcoat on my suspension,but the spray bomb stuff will last longer with a good primer.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
If you use metal mask, stir it often to keep everything evenly mixed in suspension. Nice product.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
SEYMOUR Paint Co makes the EASTWOOD products with similar but different names....so if you can find SEYMOUR youve found Eastwood but probably cheaper.....With regards to having parts look bare steel......some of these paints are very close, but bare steel is BARE STEEL, but if you have a DRIVEN car you really have no alternative but to come up with a paint combination YOU like.....Chuck Sharin/Seattle

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I love about this site! A person can read all the books but hearing from you guys who have actually "been there, done that" is fantastic. Keep up the great site and thank you. If I can ever figure out how to attach a picture to a post, I'll send one in of the finished product. Thankx again, John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts