Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting that Anne, I'm old enough to remember when the "mystery motor" first hit the tracks. :beers:
Well I was 9-1/2 years old when the Beatles played on the "Ed Sullivan Show" in Feb 1964.

So MAYBE you have me by a few years. :D

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I loved that the 396 put out as much as the 42somethings. It was a sad day, sorta, when the 427 Chevy was announced. Oh well, I sucked it up and bought one. That's kids for ya.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I loved that the 396 put out as much as the 42somethings. It was a sad day, sorta, when the 427 Chevy was announced. Oh well, I sucked it up and bought one. That's kids for ya.
A friend wanted to build a 409 for his 63 Impala. Then we started looking for a block.

Long story short, those bare blocks sell for $2000 to $3000. They do make an aluminum block for 5 grand. :beers:

We didn't build a 409. :(

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
When I was a kid (lol), the 62 Bel Air with the 409/409 was king of the local strip....I thought ...wow, 12 second ETs!

There was one car that could run with it...it was a little 61 Falcon full-on race car with a 406 and trip carbs. One day at the track my friend and me were at the end of the track, he stopped and offered us a ride to the starting line. I swear I almost wet myself I was so excited! :yes: lol

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was a kid (lol), the 62 Bel Air with the 409/409 was king of the local strip....I thought ...wow, 12 second ETs!
But consider the tires they were running on ! :D

When I remember James Dean taking out a telephone pole because he "thought" his Porsche could take any curve...... :(

Those old bias-ply tires were POS !

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
But consider the tires they were running on ! :D

When I remember James Dean taking out a telephone pole because he "thought" his Porsche could take any curve...... :(

Those old bias-ply tires were POS !
You read my mind! I just edited my post above and was going to mention the M&H recap slicks! :yes:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
l:)

I was trying to understand the design of the 409. The deck was milled at an angle to "create" the combustion chamber, I think ?

That must have played hell with the need to create "quench."

I stumbled across this :

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevy-409-cid-v-8-engine.htm/printable
And that was the end of that.:yes:
I tried to replace the 348 350 horse tripower out of my bubble top back in '67.:( I couldn't even find a wrecking yard that would sell me parts to make a 409. But they already were pushing the latest and greatest victims of gas pedal exuberance, the 396. I took no convincing to buy a low mile 360 horse version.:noway:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Thanks for the link. That is just good, very interesting reading for anyone.
Crazy to think in a roundabout way that if it hadn't been for a NASCAR rumor the Yenkos and stuff like that as we know it might've never existed, they might've all been 427SS's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts