Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my stock converter in my s10 isnt cutting it anymore. with the cam I have it just isnt working. doesnt pull real hard till around 2300, and the stock converter flashes at like 1400 or so. this car is getting turned into primarilly a drag car. its only drive on the street about 3 times a week. the motor is a

"186" double hump heads(ported)
1.5 roller rockers
9.8:1
performer rpm with 1" spacer
650 holley dp
crane 274h06 energizer cam
Advertised Duration IN/EX: 274/274
Duration @.050 IN/EX: 218/218
Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .450"/.450"
Lobe Sep Angle: 106
rpm range is 2200-6000

truck weighs 3300 with me

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Wow, 4K? thats alot, I would think a Holeshot or Sat nite special from b&m would suffice....convertors act differently depending on the camshaft and vaccum at certain levels of power band. IOW's one convertor will flash differently with 2 different cams...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why is everyone recommending a converter that stalls so high? No offense, but that little cam of yours runs out of breath around 5000-5300 easy. You already state it starts to pull hard at 2300. ?!?! Heck, even a Comp Cams XE274H only requires a 2200 stall, and that cam is a tad larger than yours at .236 @.050! HERE is your cam, or it could be THIS one, but either way, you only need a 2400 stall or max a 2800 converter.

Are you planning to put in a larger cam? If not, you do not need that much converter, or you will be really sorry driving it on the street, and going way past your torque in the rpm range on the strip. Just trying to help is all.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'd also recommend a 2200-2400 stall converter, that will get you right where you want in your torque curve.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Why is everyone recommending a converter that stalls so high? No offense, but that little cam of yours runs out of breath around 5000-5300 easy.
I agree with wildman926, but for a different reason than he states. Going overboard on stall speed can actually result in a performance loss by allowing the engine to rev past it's torque peak on launch. If you have the bucks, you would do better at the strip with the proper stall speed and a trans brake.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with wildman926, but for a different reason than he states. Going overboard on stall speed can actually result in a performance loss by allowing the engine to rev past it's torque peak on launch. If you have the bucks, you would do better at the strip with the proper stall speed and a trans brake.
We are saying the same thing, just read my last sentence. :yes:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Holeshot 3000 stall. It should flash at @ 2300-2500 in your set-up. Which will let you use your full power band and have very good street manners.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Why is everyone recommending a converter that stalls so high? No offense, but that little cam of yours runs out of breath around 5000-5300 easy.
In a 307 thats a big cam.

·
Registered
317 Posts
rule Of Thumb 2000 Rpm Under Your Highest Shift Point Or 500 Rpm Under Where Your Cam Starts Making Power, So If You Have A Cam That Starts Making Power At 3500 You Would Need A 3000 Stall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts