Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can find an add-on crank pulley for a SBC long pump? I have welded on pulleys before but I would hate to trash a perfectly good pulley if I don't have to.

I currently have a two-groove deep pulley.

Back in the 80's I installed an ARA A/C system and it came with the compressor crank pulley. I think that is what I need. Current aftermarket systems don't come with pulleys so I'm not sure where to get one. I tried Alan Grove and other searches but no luck.

·
Super Moderator
33,290 Posts
You may have to purchase a complete pulley set-up.
I’d try Camaro Central and National Parts Depot for complete set-up
Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Or.... I have this massive cast iron FOUR groove pulley you can HAVE for the cost of shipping. I pulled it off of a 1972 Chevy C60 dump truck engine.
I have no idea if it would fit your application. I just know I won't be using it.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Gas Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Coil Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any reason you can't use the factory 3 groove pulley that cam on the A/C cars? Should be many available.

Unfortunately, no. I have one of those and the grooves are in the wrong position.

Wood Gas Composite material Font Metal

But, I just found one in my stash. I believe I used it on my 83 Camaro when I installed an aftermarket AC system back in '84. It slips inside the original pulley for use with the add-on compressor.

Dishware Automotive tire Tableware Tread Wood

Automotive tire Tread Wood Bumper Gas

Once I clean it up I hope to find a part number. Probably won't be able to find another one but if I fabricate another compressor mount I could use it.

The reason for all this trouble is that I want AC in my 69 but since Z/28's don't have AC I am trying to hide any AC components for a stealth look. The Vintage Air heater core hose fittings have been rerouted to the factory location and I installed the firewall heater duct without the heater motor. The AC hoses go through the blower hole and are routed behind the wheel well. That looks pretty convincing but the compressor has been harder to hide. I tried to use an Alan Grove low mount mount but it's too low and the compressor hits the sway bar. Instead, I fabbed up a mount that installs where the AIR pump would go. It's a little more out of the way compared to the factory location.

So far, so good...

Bag Motor vehicle Camera Bumper Auto part
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Crankset
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts