Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Muncie M22 and want to swap out the automatic in my 1968 Camaro. I've been collecting the parts I need and have most of them now. I'm missing a driveshaft (with 32 spline slip yoke). I see Summit Racing has aluminum driveshafts that will fit. I've heard they can be a bit noisy. I'm more worried about how they'll hold up to a big block. Who has experience with those Summit performance driveshafts? Is there a better source for a heavy-duty driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Agreed, Denny's is the way to go. Not cheap, but very well made with name brand yokes and parts, not Chinese garbage and very well balanced. I finally got one after trying two other shops that resulted in vibrations. Denny's DS runs super smooth as he balances them at 6K+.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
My advice would be to install the transmission and measure for the "correct" driveshaft length. Would suck to get a driveshaft that is too long, or too short. Just my 2 cents .

·
16,508 Posts
My advice would be to install the transmission and measure for the "correct" driveshaft length. Would suck to get a driveshaft that is too long, or too short. Just my 2 cents .
This is the correct way to do it.

We have 2 very good driveline shops in town. They will make what we need. Shorten what we have and balance.

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
This is the correct way to do it.

We have 2 very good driveline shops in town. They will make what we need. Shorten what we have and balance.
I agree. I have had several made locally. Never had a vibration issue. Turnaround is usually a day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check out Denny's, thanks guys.

Keith, your advice about measuring after installation of the trans makes sense, thanks. I thought there were only two driveshaft lengths in 1968 depending on which transmission is used.

I'll probably pass on the aluminum shaft. Strange Engineering has 3" and 3.5" diameter chromemoly steel driveshafts with forged ends that seems to fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If your BB has a lot of torque, that M22 might not last long. Make sure that is what you want before buying a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
281 Posts
i just got my summit driveshaft SUM-790350.
They are rated to 700 lbft.
1310 u-joints stay elastic up to 800 lbft.
critical speed for 50" aluminum 3" driveshafts with 0.75 safety factor is about 6000 rpm.
With torque times rpm you can calculate applicable power, which is pretty high in this case.

Every part of that driveshaft is from a good brand as it appears.

Sonnax 3" .125" tube, sonnax u-joint mount ends, spicer forged slip yoke, spicer forged u joints 1310

They have it with 27-spline as well as 32-spline.
I think its a good deal.
With street tires as a torque fuse on the street it will live long i think

·
Registered
769 Posts
if you need a slip yoke & driveshaft, why not buy the rear yoke also & get a complete setup with 1350 u-joints?
1310 u-joints are not that beefy... I broke them with a small block on street tires before.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
My experience with the Summit DS...it did not fit.

Have Dennys in both my cars. Worth every penny. If you make power & TQ...get 1350 yokes and get a 3.5" shaft, especially if running low gears

·
Registered
315 Posts
Most local shops cannot spin them faster than around 2500 rpms and cannot balance them with the slip yoke attached. Not pushing Denny's on you, but they can spin them up to 10000 rpms with the slip yoke attached. Just saying to do your homework. I too had driveshafts made locally and had vibrations.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. I just need to figure out what I want now. I like the idea of 1350 yokes. Will a 3.5" shaft fit okay in these early Camaros?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
A comparison.
Bottom is original DS (2.75" diameter), When I installed my Tremec trans I had a local shop build the middle one, its 3" Chromoly , it had a vibration at hwy speed. The top one is a 3.5" aluminum shaft built by Precision Shaft Technologies and no more vibration. 1330 yokes. Make sure to use the best u-joints, I like the Spicers without a zerk fitting.

Cylinder Gas Auto part Wood Metal

Reactions: jimnecci

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I just need to figure out what I want now. I like the idea of 1350 yokes. Will a 3.5" shaft fit okay in these early Camaros?
3.5 " will fit. The only issue may be how tight your exhaust is. An H pipe or X pipe can be used, but may need to be a custom job.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice. Looks like the 3.5" driveshaft fits great. I'll have a 3" exhaust system, but it'll be true duals (no H or X pipe).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got a Muncie M22 and want to swap out the automatic in my 1968 Camaro. I've been collecting the parts I need and have most of them now. I'm missing a driveshaft (with 32 spline slip yoke). I see Summit Racing has aluminum driveshafts that will fit. I've heard they can be a bit noisy. I'm more worried about how they'll hold up to a big block. Who has experience with those Summit performance driveshafts? Is there a better source for a heavy-duty driveshaft?
I've got a nice driveshaft with new HD U-joints that I just took out of my '69 SS because I am putting in a Tremec TKX which uses a new driveshaft. I'm going to put it up for sale soon... if you're interested let me know.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts