Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BB 427 30 over 10.5-1 and a 74 st10 12 bolt not shure what gear ratio yet. I was thinking 3:73's but, don't know what would be best. The car is a 69 x11 car and plan on cruise-in's and taking it to a few out of town shows.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
In my opinion a set of 3.31:1 gears is best for your combination and driving style.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies but, I need to know if the ST-10 will hold up with the big block? I also have a L 88 cam in this motor. Would I be better off selling the St-10 because I don't have the funds for a tremec 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I like 3:73's. But that's my personal choice. This isn't about me, it's about you. For your driving style and engine I think you will like the 3:42 and no more than a 3:55.

FWIW, I tend to agree with pdq on the 3:31 since you plan to drive it to out of town shows and it will see highway time. The 3:42 should be ok though.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a 427 10.5 to 1 with a 4 speed trans and 355 gears and this is great for driving and highway. do not go any lower than 355 . The cam range and low rpm throught parking lots and stuff make the car buck. 373 is the best but i went for 355 for longer cruises and am pleased with that. I got 11 miles the gallion on my drive to PA. 350 miles to show. cam is solid 375 hp cam.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The problem with a 12 bolt truck rear end (which I assume you are referring too with the ST-10 logo, even though most ST-10s came with 10 bolts) is that they have a small weak pinion gear, overly large axle bearings with 1/2" studs on a 5" bolt circle and the Posi, if it has one, is of a ratchet design that will break the first time it slips a tire on asphalt because they were designed to play in the dirt (pawl breaks when it attempts to latch onto the mechanism under load unlike the clutch type designed to be used on paved roads).

Larger Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
st-10 means super T-10 4-speed.
I think you'll be happy with 355 to 373's in combo with the 4-speed(which first gear ratio?), but you HAVE to GET RID of that rediculously large CAM. that cam needs 12.5+ :1 compression or it will run like a turd, and even with 12.5:1 it will HATE to be lugged down to lower RPM's (like highway w/ less than 373's), or anything slow speed in town.
I'd put a XE 274H, or comparable solid, comp cam in it . It will be WAY happyer overall with the smaller shaft.
just my opinion.......I been there.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think he just wants to know if the Super T-10 will hold up to the big block. Not about what ratio to run.

7T8 LT,
As for the Super T-10 and the big block, I had a 26 spline, aluminum case, super T-10 behind a blown 468 cuin big block in a Pro Street 57 Chevy with a narrowed 9 inch rear with 15.5 rear tires. It was in the car for about 10 years and held up. I was far from easy on it. I didn't get much traction though, so that may have helped. It would probably be a different if the rear tires "hooked" up better. Slicks would have probably killed the trans. I launched it once, got good traction, and broke both axles in the car and the trans didn't break. So the T10 will take some abuse. The trans was bone stock out of a 1979 Z/28. I just rebuilt it before I put it in.
Also, after seeing how mine held up, a friend of mine put a Super T10 in his 67 Camaro that had a crate 454 LS6 with a 4:11 12 bolt and didn't break it. He also had some traction issues..lol. For the street, cruse nights, shows, I'm sure you'll be fine with the T-10.

Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PROZ11 hit the nail on the head I was just giving all the information on the car and my typical use of the car. Thank you for all the replies!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Some ST-10's are strong and some are weak... Unless you tell us what ratio your ST-10 is we'll never know if you have a weak one or a strong one... Crash

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I have a Super T-10 in my car now. Close ratio's. The guy I bought my Camaro from had a 12 bolt w/ a full on spool an 4:10 gears in it w/ c-clip eliminators. The trans seems like it can take a beating. Sorry but I don't know the ratio's in mine. All I know is first gear lasts about 15 feet and by the time I'm at the end of the block it's already in 4th gear at 3,000 RPM's and I'm at high way speeds. That's why I'm looking to go automatic with overdrive or gear vendors. BTW, It's the aluminum case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some ST-10's are strong and some are weak... Unless you tell us what ratio your ST-10 is we'll never know if you have a weak one or a strong one... Crash
I tried to call you on 4/4/07 left a message. It has two lines on the shaft. Thanks Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts