Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a spinn-off to a previous Dougs Header post.
Im having fitment problems and hopeing I wount have to "bang up" these headers to get them to fit.

1. Passenger side header is touching idle arm
2. Drivers side almost touchingpower steering box.

new 350 zz motor (dist. is almost touching firewall)
tko 5 speed
307 mounts (i think)
new poly motor mounts (350?)

here are the pics

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Are your new poly engine mounts "tall and narrow" or "short and wide" ?

Tall and narrow = 302/350
Short and wide = 307/327

It is common for the distributor to almost touch the firewall.

Do your heads have raised exhaust ports ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.imageshack.us/i/img0934c.jpg/][img=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4281/img0934c.th.jpg][/url]

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You need to get the energy suspension poly mount number 31114G. I run this mount with a 307/327 engine stand and I don't have any clearance issues with D368s.

A good website for information is

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Kevin,

Your pictures don't work and you still have not answered my two questions.

The part number, Andy gave is to be used for the 307/327 frame mounts, but we don't know if that is what you have !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for some reason the pics wont load but I will work on it. (they worked under another post "dougs headers" page 2.

I was looking for the reciept for the motor mounts but I bought them a while ago and not sure now which ones they are. I am going to take them back out and measure them. I put the tape measure on them in the car & it looks like they are 2 5/8 wide but i want to be sure.

As far as the heads go, they are iron dart 202 heads. What do I look for to see if they are raised ports? (hense the name "rook")

·
Registered
7,795 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for both of your responses.
I may have the 350 mounts on 307 stands.
I hope that is the problem. I am going to take them off and check.

As I understand it, it does not matter as long as the mounts match the stands - or do I need 350 mounts and stands for this zz motor.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
It is physically impossible to put 350 "Tall and Narrow" engine mounts on 307/327 frame stands. The frame stands are too wide. You could put the "short and wide" engine mounts with spacers under the mounting bolts and extra washers on the "Through" bolt. (I have done this). We would like to know what you have.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I also looked at your above photos and the engine mounts and frame mounts look fine. If those are Dart iron eagle heads, they should have stock port location also. Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my Hooker headers for reference :

As you can see, my header tubes are no where, near the Idler arm. Clearance is very minimal near the steering box.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Here is a photo comparing the headers. You can see from the design, why the Dougs might hit the idler arm.

I would check with Don (zdld17) on How big the round, end part of his idler arm is. If it is smaller, it may be all the clearance you need.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
The above round swivel body on this idler arm is the same as mine, but the log dog bone part is half the id that is shown in the obove photo.
And when turn to the closest point, I have about 1" clearance.

Might want to make sure that both your pitman arm and idler arm , have the same center to center dimensions. These things can get swapped out cause problems. David Pozzi's site mentions this. Make sense?

Here are my engine compartment photos again. First photo is with Thorley TriY, last two are Dougs 368

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rook, I had the same issue as you. My D368's are rubbing against my idler arm, and the steering box is close. I have the 327 frame mounts/motor mounts.

Currently my motor is out...I have purchased Moroso motor mount shims:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-62535/

I am going to use them to shift the engine upwards and slightly angle it to get it off the idler arm. It's not as good as using the 350 mount setup, but it should work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks like my original one also but I replaced it with a new MOOG that looks like the one on the right. I am going to dig out my old one and compare. It sure looks like a bigger circumference at the ball where it hits the header.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These motor mount shims will lift the motor, but will they tilt it back onto the firewall? My distributor is almost touching and my wires are touching

1 - 20 of 41 Posts