Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure you guys are tired of this question because I did a search and came up with 25+ pages. I read them all. Here is my question..... I have been working for 3 years on my 68 and the time has come to get an engine. I do not plan to race or anything just drive to car shows.
Some say to get a 350 and rebuild it (not sure I can or want that project) others say buy a crate 350 and have a new motor. I have built the car on a budget and want to try to stay between 2000 and 3000. I already have a Muncie M20.
1. Summit, JEGS, Pace and others have the 350 260 HP and the 290 HP for 1539.00 to 1939.00 plus freight. Is there a difference when driving between the 2 motors other than 30 HP?
2. Where should I get the starter, flex plate, clutch, water pump, alternator, intake, carb, dist, coil and other stuff and what should I get.
3. Are any of the engine rebuilders on e-bay legit?

Am I going down the wrong road? Looking for advice.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Forget the hp numbers...simply a mathematical thing.The car does not have a calculator and could care less.Concentrate on the torque values and where they fall for your style of driving.The lower hp application may just puke up more torque in your rpm range..ie,just off idle cruising to the local car show and deliver a few more mpg,s to boot.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Everybody has a 350! We found a rebuilt 327 on epay for $1800. The company was Five Star Engines and in conversation they offered different packages to each engine. All said and done we purchased the 327 "turn-key". The carb, hei, water pump, fuel pump, plugs, plug wires, air cleaner, fuel pump and upper and lower pulleys were included. We were able to change out the intake and the cam for something a little more aggressive and my son picked out the chrome package. With all the changes made, we came in with 350hp out of the crate. (in my opinion, 350hp in a '68 will get you up and down the street nicely!) Total delivered: $2800, including a 12 month/12000 mile warranty from initial start-up. We changed out the 3-spd Saginaw for the M-20 and kept the 10.4" clutch because I like the "whine" of the small block. BTW, look what I found
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-327-330-HP-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-BALANCED-CRATE-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27aa8898e4QQitemZ170364803300QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Forget the hp numbers...simply a mathematical thing.The car does not have a calculator and could care less.Concentrate on the torque values and where they fall for your style of driving.
Thats is the bottom line advice....except for this
Post exactly how you will drive the car over the next few yrs 90% of the time
And the occassional 2% of the time (the other 8% will fall in between)
And what are your expectations from the car...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wouldn't advise a crate to anyone, unless it's a reher-morrison, shafiroff and so on, but those are several hundred to several thousand hp and tens of thousands of dollars over budget.

If you get a 260hp crate you will get under 200hp to the wheels, which won't be much fun.
You can build a 350-383 or bigger inch small block for 3k that makes 300rwhp easily.

I agree what others have said about torque, that is what gets you up hills, sideways, busts the tires loose...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats is the bottom line advice....except for this
Post exactly how you will drive the car over the next few yrs 90% of the time
And the occassional 2% of the time (the other 8% will fall in between)
And what are your expectations from the car...
I will admit that a burn out or two is in the cards but most of the time it would be driving to a local car show during the summer. Easy driving on a Sunday afternoon.

Everybody has a 350! We found a rebuilt 327 on epay for $1800. The company was Five Star Engines and in conversation they offered different packages to each engine. All said and done we purchased the 327 "turn-key". The carb, hei, water pump, fuel pump, plugs, plug wires, air cleaner, fuel pump and upper and lower pulleys were included. We were able to change out the intake and the cam for something a little more aggressive and my son picked out the chrome package. With all the changes made, we came in with 350hp out of the crate. (in my opinion, 350hp in a '68 will get you up and down the street nicely!) Total delivered: $2800, including a 12 month/12000 mile warranty from initial start-up. We changed out the 3-spd Saginaw for the M-20 and kept the 10.4" clutch because I like the "whine" of the small block. BTW, look what I found
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-327-330-HP-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-BALANCED-CRATE-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27aa8898e4QQitemZ170364803300QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Thanks for that info. I had the impression that most of the guys on the site advised staying away from the engine rebuilders on e-bay. Some of them have good deals if they deliver what they claim. Sounds like your experience was OK.
I will look again at the re-builders on e-bay and at five star. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Do you have a friend who can assemble a motor?
Do a little digging on the forums, ask questions and pick parts, you can build big hp (even though you don't need or really want it) for the budget your asking, you may as well get the most bang for your $$$, the speed bug will eventually hit you, and you and your friend can build up a motor in a few days and learn a ton. 383 would be the most realistic choice for most bang for you money, you can't really build a bbc for that, especially if it's a small block car, and a 400" small block is unrealistic with a 3k budget.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Come on guys.... GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
LMAO @ Skeeter!

How 'bout a genuine GMPP 350-350?
Go \dowmn to your local chevy dealer and order one up. They come pretty complete, you'll need to buy a flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing but not much else.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought and have a fast burn 385 with a tko600 and 410's soon to be 342's. If i was to do it all over again, i'd put in a 383. the GMPP small block isnt a bad deal, but you can build a nice 383 without spending more and you cant beat the torque as well as the lighter weight of the 383 (versus a big block)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nothing wrong with going for the 260 hp crate and putting a little better cam in it as opposed to paying extra for the 290 hp motor(same motor except for the cam) with the old 222-222 114 lsa cam which would only help you on the upper end. My buddy bought the 260 crate and then added a crane 274H06 218-218 .450 lift 106 LSA cam. Nice lope and lots of low and mid range power. competitonproducts.com sells a copy of it, part number E1785PM for $100 including lifters. You can use your stock springs with that cam too. You may be close to 300 hp with the 274 cam and have lots better low and mid range power compared to the crate 290 cam. The 260 crate is a good street motor that will run on the cheapest gas you can throw at it and still give you decent power for street cruising. The 274 cam will sound like you have a much bigger motor in your ride but still be totally streetable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a friend who can assemble a motor?
Do a little digging on the forums, ask questions and pick parts, you can build big hp (even though you don't need or really want it) for the budget your asking, you may as well get the most bang for your $$$, the speed bug will eventually hit you, and you and your friend can build up a motor in a few days and learn a ton. 383 would be the most realistic choice for most bang for you money, you can't really build a bbc for that, especially if it's a small block car, and a 400" small block is unrealistic with a 3k budget.

Nothing wrong with going for the 260 hp crate and putting a little better cam in it as opposed to paying extra for the 290 hp motor(same motor except for the cam) with the old 222-222 114 lsa cam which would only help you on the upper end. My buddy bought the 260 crate and then added a crane 274H06 218-218 .450 lift 106 LSA cam. Nice lope and lots of low and mid range power. competitonproducts.com sells a copy of it, part number E1785PM for $100 including lifters. You can use your stock springs with that cam too. You may be close to 300 hp with the 274 cam and have lots better low and mid range power compared to the crate 290 cam. The 260 crate is a good street motor that will run on the cheapest gas you can throw at it and still give you decent power for street cruising. The 274 cam will sound like you have a much bigger motor in your ride but still be totally streetable.
Thanks for all the opinions. I am going to look at the rebuilders again and look into buying the 260HP and changing the cam.
Those look like the best 2 options. I wish I knew someone locally that could build a 350 but no luck.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
You should get a copy of How To Overhaul Your Small Block Chevy by David Vizard. It is like $20 on ebay. It goes step wise thru an engine overhaul. It might even be available in your public library.

You might just surprise yourself at what you can do!!!! Remember, no matter what you are attempting, somewhere, someone with less brains has already accomplished it.

:)

alan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should get a copy of How To Overhaul Your Small Block Chevy by David Vizard. It is like $20 on ebay. It goes step wise thru an engine overhaul. It might even be available in your public library.

You might just surprise yourself at what you can do!!!! Remember, no matter what you are attempting, somewhere, someone with less brains has already accomplished it.

:)

alan
good advice I just ordered it.
thanks

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I doubt a cam change will yield 40hp+ (assuming we are talking about at the crank), I kind of see the 260hp crate as a dead end street for future mods, there isn't much you can do with dished pistons, low compression and stock deck height. My cousin bought a 290hp crate with a 274comp cam or something which ran pretty good, I personally wouldn't buy one of the crates for the power, but factory GM warranty and dependability can't be beat, which is probably the intention for these motors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts