Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have been in the Navy 10yrs. I have nothing to prove, However, my Dad is getting older and will likely need my help in the not so distant future with his construction company. I am tired of Navy life and am considering leaving. So what do you think? I cant work toward my dreams of my own business in the Navy for obvious reasons. I have goals and dreams for my family's future. I believe the Navy is holding me back. What is your opinion?:eek:

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Only you can decide what's best for you. I believe that the Navy is an excellent career for those so inclined to live the way of life demanded by that way of life.

You said you have dreams that can not be realized while still being in the Navy. if you have to leave on your own accord then so be it and continue down life's path and realize your dreams. I would make sure that I have the "FULL" support of my family before doing so. You dreams are theirs also and they all have to be aligned or it will be difficult to have "YOURS" if it's not all of your dreams.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Harley, I enlisted for 4 in 1974, added 2 to get c school and ftm3, then got out after 4 years on a hardship, to help out my mom. Those 4 years were the best of my life, and if things had worked out different, I'd still be in.

Still we all make the best choices we can. Make YOUR choice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
This is a decision you and only you can make. I enlisted in the Navy in 89 and spent 10 yers in also. These were great years and I had the time of my life, but the time for me to get out came. I was even up for shore duty, which would have been in Pearl Harbor or San Dog, but it was either re-up and do 20 or get out. I was a Torpedoman and LPO so I really did not do anything. After I got out a stumbled into a really good job, I am still there and make about 5 times what I did in the Navy, so it has worked out for me. There are times that you will miss all the people and going places, like Palma de Majorca, Rhodes Greece, you get the idea. Do what is best for you and your family. Either way you decide, I hope that it works out for you!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harley, I enlisted for 4 in 1974, added 2 to get c school and ftm3, then got out after 4 years on a hardship, to help out my mom. Those 4 years were the best of my life, and if things had worked out different, I'd still be in.

Still we all make the best choices we can. Make YOUR choice.
Been waiting on you to say something......tnx
I am just REALLY wanting to get out and do my own thing. I cant do that in the Navy. I LOVE THE NAVY!! but I am having a hardtime deciding what I need to do. My wife supports ANY decision I make. My kids wanna be closer to grandpa. I am tired of the politics and the 'new' clinton's Navy. I can take over for my Dad and make better money and do Hot Rods n Harley's on the side....Play guitar with my Bro....fish with my son's...allow them to help with the cars...yall get the idea. The Navy has been good to me and the pay sux pretty bad but the benefits are decent. its a steady paycheck. Need advice.....:(

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Harley, thanks for checking in with us (all of your tc friends), but you already know the answer to your question. Hope you have the time of your life in your new career! Charlie 69 RS

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I left the Army after 7 years. I too felt I had reached my potential (in other words, gaining rank meant nothing to me). The challenge to better myself in that environment was met with too many obstacles that were unrelated to my personal strengths.

FWIW, I am now teaching, and am 7 weeks away from having my masters degree. I look back on my military days with extreme happiness. I look forward to unrestricted personal and professional growth in the future. The military is a great experience, but for me, it absolutely would not have let me realize what I was capable of doing with myself. I also own and opererate a business, and have for 18 years. I attribute at least part of my motivation and orginizational skills to my military training.

I won't give an opinion, but I think you already know what your plans are. :)

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
The reserve idea is good, if you can do it. Don't you some sort of an obligation anyhow after getting out? If so you just as well might get the benifit. Only 10 year until a retirement check is hard to pass up and could pay for school expences for kids or buy lot of Hot Rod, Harley and camaro parts! Then again long vacations for you the wife!!

Joe

·
Registered
873 Posts
How much do you get a month after twenty years service, don't forget health insurance is a big factor if you have to pay it yourself, or does your wife work and that pays for it.

Anyway, I have no idea how much 20 in the service is worth, and can you get a better deal on health care after 20 with the navy.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang Joe, you kinda put things in perspective again.....
I dont want to go but I feel that, right now, its better for my family. I will join the Air Force reserves. My wife is an USAFR now. getting out will give me a chance at becoming the County Sheriff back home. Always wanted to be a cop. Ive always enjoyed sitting around a camp fire on the creek and playing my guitar. Cant do that in the Navy. Cant build cars in the Navy do to lack of space in housing and they dont allow you to work on your vehicle in base housing, I cant live out in town cuz I dont make enuff money. the hobby shop wont allow me to do restorations there either only small stuff...Keep it coming guys I like hearing your inputs...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I went thru the same gut wrenching your going thru at my 10 year point. I decided to stick it out and retired after 22 years 7 months and 10 days. I now have $1900.00 a month deposited into my bank account for that service.

I still have Tri-care that I pay about 300.00 or so a year for. Dental program is a bit expensive. Because of my disability rating from the VA, my daughter is going through the CaL State education system, tuition free, I pay for the books (thats the only thing i see those damn Savings bonds were good for buying during the yearly bonds drive the AF has). These are just some of the material things I mention that came out of that 22 + years of my service.

Whatever you decide it will be the right decision. Because you made it with the Wife and kids had input.

P.S.
Thank you for serving my country.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I was in for 6, as a nuclear reactor operator. I spent most of my time on Enterprise until shattering my knee, at which point I spent a year and a half awaiting med sep at NCTAMS-LANT. It was there that I made E-6 and learned computer networking, which led to my career after the Navy and ultimately back to college and grad school.

I would have stayed in, made Chief, and taught others, but the treatment during the whole med board process (which I refer to now as "Defending Your Life") soured me.

Your Navy experience will serve you well on the outside - the discipline, respect for others, and attention to detail especially. With that backing (even if you're an airdale :) ) you should do well.

Weigh the opportunity cost of leaving (retirement pay) against what you'll earn on the outside in the next 10 years following some kind of investment plan. Factor both out to your retirement age and see which is worth more, then add in the plusses/minuses of doing what you really want to do.

Good luck, and thanks for the service.

Robert
ex ET1(SW)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANKS GUYS.
Robert, they tried to kick my out a few years ago, so I know all about those MED boards....I really appreciate you guys for your inputs.
Im not sure Ill get to retire from the Navy, Id like too, but Im close to High-Year Tenure now...
TNX

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I remember when I hit the 10 year mark! I was like dang..I already went this far..what's ten more years?? Well I ended up doing 22 years in the Marines. Loved every minute of it. (well almost every minute) I did a few West-Pac's in my time in. Now those were an adventure!

As for the retired pay..I get almost 2K a month from the day I retired along with lifetime medical for me and my wife. All kinds of other perks too.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am torn I guess. I love the Navy and my/our Country. I dont want to hastly make a decision based on my life(unhappiness) at this point. I thought I would get some good advice from you guys, especially the VETS, and use that to make an informed decision. Once again you guys didnt disappoint.
I feel that getting out and starting my engine building/custom Harley business on the side and spending quality time(work as he calls it) with my hero, my Dad, would be a benefit for both my children and me. I will however transfer over to the Chair Force reserves to finish out my 20 as an MP reservist. I am still a pretty good heavy equipment operator(D7H, D6R, 988, 992B-for those that know) and I can always put groceries in the pantry doing that. Besides some of you gents and gals may help out by ordering a motor(SBC stroker's mostly) or a chopper/bobber from me in the future. I will attend the Reher-Morrison Engine building school before hand tho...LOL
Thanks again guys!
AE2

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Sounds like you made a decision, Harley.......:yes:

Good for you and I wish you well on your new path in life....:thumbsup:

Now if I could only figure out what I wanna be when I grow up....:(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts