Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 RS/SS Camaro convertible which I recently purchased. The car is near perfect except I have this one problem which is the top will not lower fully as the convertible top frame is hitting the top of the upper armrest panels which cover the hinge and piston mechanisms (see picture).

What is interesting is when the top is in the up position everything aligns perfectly - the windows roll up right where they should so I know the frame is not bent. The top goes up and down perfectly too. When lowered, however, it doesn't fall in the space between the arm rest panel and the body.

Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
Maybe the interior panel needs to come away from the wall some more?

Take a ruler and place it horizontal with the cover snap button to give some idea where your is at, the panel edge and the button, and maybe another topless owner will compare your measurement with his.

Use the "flower" set-up on your camers to take a close-up picture.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I dont have a power top , but when lowering the top that spot is the hardest to compress. All the material is realy packed tight. It wouldnt suprise me if a little assistance is needed to put the parade cover on. If there is just a little air in the system, it would strugle to fully lower I bet. Be sure its not hitting something like others have said.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Your frame is not properly adjusted.
You need to adjust at the pivot point on the front header latch area.
My top, in this position, is 50 1/4" inside to inside at the very front.
My well is 48" side cover to side cover, so there is over 1" clearence on each side.
Does this help?

·
Registered
230 Posts
My top does not go down as far as some I have seen either. I usually pull the top material out of the hinge areas when it gets close to being down so that it is not holding the top frame from folding up. If your top is the thicker aftermarket top, that could be a reason it does not lay as flat.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
The problem posted is not "won't go down", it's "can't go down because it hits the side panels".
Loosen the large phillips head screw under the top on the latch assy and spread out the frame to fit inside the wells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all I want to thank all of you for responding with suggestions.

A friend of mine suggested removing the upper panels the top was hitting/resting on in the lowered position and bending them in towards the rear seat so the frame rails could clear. And in fact it worked like a charm. These were repro panels so they apparently just required a little adjustment to get the top to drop all the way. I wouldn't have thought you could have bent them in and still have the upper panels to return properly into the armrest panel but I was able to .

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts