Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K as u can see i'm not a camaro owner, still i need ur help, my friend has a 89 iroc with a 350, his cars been runnin wierd so we opened it up and ran a compression test, we got to the 3rd cylinder and got a reading of only 5 psi, i popped the radiator cap and noticed oil in the anitfreeze, also i ran a leakdown test and heard an internal hsssss coming from within the block, so yea we figure either a cracked head or block is causin the problem, The motors a tuned port injection (or whatever it is chevy calls it) and it looks like we're in the market for one, can anyone give me a price of a 350 from a junkyard wit decent miles on it (under 50,000), thanx guys i appreciate it, who knows maybe ill final get myself a 69 ss like i always wanted haha, later

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
DO you have "Pick-&-Pulls" out your way?
I paid $150.oo complete for one a year ago on the 'half-price/managers special' day! Car was placed day before and all the parts were there - took @ 3 hours to pull and haul off.
I watch for their adds and get down there early to dig around.
Police/Insurance auctions are another good place to find TPI motors on the cheap. You get the whole car for $300.oo up. I only bid on the ones that are good for driveline only.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you can find one with less than 50,000 miles on it I'd be shocked. Every TPI 350 from a camaro/firebird is more than 10 years old... unless your lucky enough to find someone that wrecked one that just had a re-build.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
why not head to the Chev dealer and see about a replacement engine? i think it should be around $1200-$1500 and be brand new. if that sounds like a lot to spend- think of the aggravation that is saved when you are looking for another engine down the road when that "low mileage" junkyard mill lets go without warning.
oh- have you ruled out a blown head gasket? that would be way cheaper and easier to replace than an engine, and could be done in an afternoon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think you should pull the head first before you go looking the bone yards over for a new motor. if it was a 4 banger or a (ricer) I would bet on a head but being it is a chevy v8 I bet it is just a head gasket. it won't cost you a thing to jerk the head and alot cheaper to replace a gasket then replace a motor...good luck...speedy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts