Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i need help, suggestion, tips or whatever..i have a 1996 camaro RS V6..i like it i take care of it..well atleast im trying..any ways..i bought it about 4 or 5 months ago from this one lady...and after having this car for a few weeks i started to feel the car shaking or vibrating whenever i run 45mph and up then my service engine light starts blinking but it just stay on for a while after that....my friend said try changing the sparkplugs...so i did..(they are pain in the butt) the shaking kinda gone and it runs much better but my service engine still shows up...i went to autozone to get it checked out they said 4th cylinder is misfired..the guy told me to try changing the coil packs..i changed the coil but just for the 4th cylnder one..but it got worst..something sounds weird can't figure out what it is and my service engine light keeps blinking..i tried driving it around but wenever i stop on the stoplight it shakes morelikely a little stalling motion..i went to autozone and have it checked again and they said try changing the wires..then i did..it was still the same...now i don't know what to do..does any of you have clue on what's going on??or what i should do?? :(

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Flashing SES light indicates a catalyst damaging misfire is occurring. If your ignition checks out(coil pack/module), have compression check done. If compression test is ok, look for a vacuum leak, the intake gaskets are very failure prone on that engine. Although rare, I have repaired some cam failures on the 60 degree V6s as well.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
A 1996 is going to be an OBDII system, so autozone can read it for you or you can purchase a code reader/eraser for less than $50 (depending on your level of enthusiasm).

Try swapping the coil packs and clear the code. See if the code shows up on the other cylinder pair or remains on the intial cylinder(s). If you have one coil for each cylinder you can isolate the dud swapping them around and resetting the code until it appears again.

What did those plugs look like. We're they all equally soiled or were differences among the four? Color is important (brown, white, black, wet) also.

Ignition problems often reveal themselves when the engine is under load. A good way to load it is to power brake it while listening for a stumble.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The biggest problem people face with new cars is they over think everything. Every car starts with the basics. It could be as simple as a plug wire, connection, or injector. It's good advice to switch a plug wire and see if the miss moves. Pull off the wire on both ends and see if there is any corrossion. It's been a long time but those engines had issues with corrossion in the spark plug terminals. Try a quality injector cleaner.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm gonna guess a new engine should take care of the problem.
No, seriously, you've spent enough money guessing, take it to a shop.
Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts