Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 2001 z28 ss camaro i had noticed a couple of the tires were bad . so i bought some tires but when i went to put them on i found out there was a locking lug nut on each wheel! the guy i bought the car from didn't give me anything and i tore the car apart! how do i get those lug nuts off thats my only car and the tires are ready to blow! so can someone help me out thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
cut them off and replace stud or try and wrench them off (vice grips), otherwise your s.o.l.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If your real careful you can take a air chisel and split them in two and knock off both halves and not even damage the wheel stud. I have personally done this and worked fine. There is a small tool called a nut cracker. I think Ive seen it in some of the parts catalogs like year one or ricks or something. I have never used one but have always wanted to buy one just to have. Im not sure how large a nut they will break though. I think that it would work though!! The other option is that you can have a new key made for them, but this will take a little while and not sure you can wait. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
they have a tool that can take the locks off your wheels, there used alot on cars with striped just got to a auto store they should have them dont use a torch or air chisel theres to much or a risk of messing up your rims

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Nut "easy-off" sockets!

The type of reverse grab rounded corner nut sockets that Sears sells if you can get a set w/ one big enough??

I'd love to have a set, BUT they are downright PROUD of them!!

And I have heard of guys using a bicycle front fork/handlebar shaft IF the handlebar cinch-down fits the nut??

pdq67

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have been done this many times by hammering on a properly sized deep well impact socket, and then using the impact gun to remove.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I have been done this many times by hammering on a properly sized deep well impact socket, and then using the impact gun to remove.

TTFN
Mat
I have removed them this way also.If you will hit the nut hard with a hammer first it will drive it into the aluminum and loosen it up.Then you can drive a socket on and take them off.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Tire store does sound like the way to go since you have to put the new tires on and balance............

If you are determined to diy......

You might be able to get an air grinder or dremel and grind on one side of the lock to flatten it out some should help the socket get a bite.......

Let us know how you make out......

8 Ball

1 - 13 of 13 Posts