Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but didn't come up with exactly what I was looking for..

I had to get new locks for the new 69 camaro cause the old ones were accepting any GM key... Picked up a whole set brand new that was matched to one key. Changed out the door locks today- was pretty easy. Would like to change out the ignition too so it will match as well...

Do you have to tear down the steering collumn to get it out, or can you do it from the outside fairly easy without destroying stuff?

Thanks!
Ben

·
15,375 Posts
1quik is right.
You'll have to pull the steering wheel and remove the turn signal assembly..... everything until you get down to the body where the key buzzer switch is.
Above the ignition switch you'll see a slot that's just about a 1/4" long. Down inside the slot you'll see a 'tab' across the middle of it that you are supposed to break. The slot may be totally closed but you break through it anyway. Use a small jewelers screwdriver or something similar.
Below this slot is a brass colored tab that you press to 'unlock' the switch from the column. I forget exactly where the key\ignition needs to be but I think you turn it to RUN posiiton while pressing this brass tab and the swicth will slide out.
I've done it a few times and believe this is the procedure but I could have missed something. My manuals are home.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hey Ben,

Another option is to pull the door lock and take the ign and it to a lock smith. For about 12 bucks they can key the door lock to the ign key in about 10 minutes. (pretty good wages if you ask me.) The door lock comes out pretty quickly. good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts