Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I am new to the forum but not new to the hobby. I have a 1968 327 L79 350hp motor (stock) that I went to replace the valve stem seals on today...and this is what I found (see pics). I was shocked...what caused this? I dont have any metal pieces anywhere to be found...it doesnt appear that I have any contact with the keepers or anything else around...is it metal fatigue? Is this a catastrophe about to happen? Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BTW-awesome forum

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the guides were drilled out and replaced with bronze guides.The original ones cracked and broke when the new ones were installed.
I am totally in the blind on this one...would this be grounds to have the heads rebuilt?? My guess is that they have been this way for a while, but not sure how long. The heads were rebuilt last in the late 80s.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
My guess, this most likely occured when the guides were installed....I would think this needs attention and is probably the reason you went to change the valve seals due to an internal oil leakage problem.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It does look like the guides were replaced and the old metal cracked. I would not say this alone is cause to rebuild the heads. I suspect they have been like this since the last rebuild. I would make sure there are no loose pieces that could fall off and cause damage.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I would not say this alone is cause to rebuild the heads. I suspect they have been like this since the last rebuild. I would make sure there are no loose pieces that could fall off and cause damage.

TTFN
Mat
What Mat said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts