Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got something srange going on with my '69. My console guages work fine when my headlights are off, but as soon as I pull them on the guages immediatley peg and the console lights go off also. The fuel goes to E and the temp goes to the right. My batt. guage hasen't worked for some time. Oil pressure continues to work. As soon as I turn off the headlights the guages start right back up. Any ideas??
Thanks
Doug

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
On a 69 headlight sw there is a metal grounding ring that attaches to it and then you ground the wire to the dash. Are you missing this ground strap? I can post a pic of it later today if your not sure.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
hehe, I had EXACTLY that with my autometer pod when I put the console back in this year.

The gauge pod is not getting a gound. It's pulling a ground thru the illumination wire, until you power up that wire.

In my case, even though the ground wire was firmly screwed to the metal consolre mounting bracket with a star washer, it was not getting a good connection. Had to sand on the contact point on the bracket a lil.

Note my setup is homemade and autrometer, I'm not positive where. how the factory pod grounds.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Thanks guys, I'll start looking for a grounding problem. The electrical on this car has basically never been touched so all the original grounding straps hopefully are all there. Never had a problem with it until yesterday.....
Doug

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man you guys are good!! I pulled my shifter plate, looked down and noticed the little grounding screw from the gauges to the top of the tunnel was loose. That was it!! A quick electrial fix, gotta love it!!

Thanks!!
Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts