Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TH350 trans with a very strong converter that really chirped the tires whenever I punched the accelerator. The only problem is that it seems to burn out the trans if I try to drive it daily (three transmissions in three years). Right now the car is in pieces and I am trying to identify exactly what type of converter this car has. Does anyone know where the best place is to look? ( My differential is 3:01 single traction)

[ 12-30-2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: garfield ]

·
Registered
593 Posts
Garfield, first there is no reason a converter shold kill your trans. The only thing that will burn up a trans is either a lack of line pressure or lubrication. The fluid exits the converter and goes through the cooler circuit, and then back to the trans. Even a higher stall speed converter should not generate too much heat to be streetable if the cooler is functioning properly. And, you can do a line pressure test easily on your TH-350, there is a port on the trans. An OEM valve body and pump setup should provide in the area of 60 psi in drive with your foot holding the brake pedal down and the engine at 1K rpms. In manual low it should jump up a bit, to around 85 psi. If you push on the gas, at an engine speed of at least 1200+ you should see 150-160 psi in drive, and the same in manual low. Low pressure may indicate a pump or pressure regulator problem. Other issues sometimes occur in TH-350s, I have seen a few where guys have installed different valve bodies or modified them and neglected to torque the support plate that sits just in front of the valve body, sometimes the pump priming valve can stick open and cause line pressure to fall off, etc. As for id'ing your converter, what color is it painted, and are there any numbers stamped in it? If so, I may be able to help id it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts