Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the quick ratio steering box upgrade, and decided to go ahead and replace my p/s pump while at it. Of course, I couldn't do it last weekend because nobody had one, so I had to order it. Today I got my pump in, and immediately noticed the shaft on the new one is different.
I had to use a pulley removal tool to get the old one off, but this new pump has a shaft that the pulley will be a bolt on.
Now, I need to find a new pulley.

I have a '69 engine in my '68 so it has the long water pump, if that matters.

The old pulley was double groove, but I only used the one groove. I need a single groove pulley with a bolt on style center, and will fit up with the long water pump.

Where can I find it? and which one would it be?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
Might take tjhe box number to a local parts store, or www.rockauto.com, and see vehicle interchange and would give you some idea.

Your original two-belt pulley is for the A/C compressor belt.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If your new pump has the shaft with threaded end and a key in it, I've got a double groove one you can have. You would have to find a nut though. They use a thin one like a jam nut that is a prevailing torque type to help hold it (crimped type nut). There's also a little keyed spacer with flat sides on it that goes on between the pulley and nut. You hold it with a wrench while tightening the nut.

If you want a single groove, any single groove keyway pulley for a small block with long water pump will work. It's tough to find black ones though. My car was also an A/C car and I replaced my stock pulleys with billet aluminum ones. Double groove crank and single groove ps pump and water pump.

Here's the pulley:
http://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Camaro/Underhood/M00216.html

Here's a nut:
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=561355&dept_id=1835

1 - 3 of 3 Posts