Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 69 camaro.As evereybody knows its hard 2 find a good one.I live in california so rust isnt a major problem but it still exist.I found a 69 z/28 the 302 is long long gone.It has a 68 396 putting out about 450 hp.It also has an m21 and a 373 12 bolt posi everything has less than 3000 miles.The car had a frame off restoration a couple of years ago.interior is in very good condition.Ok heres the problem slight small rust in the trunk and on the dash.The guy is a nice trustworthy guy from what i can tell,but the red flag comes up with small amouts of rust and he thinks at one time a quater was replaced due 2 a seem in the trunk.Any input would be great thanks guys.Hes askin 21000 but he said he knows his price is high i think hes thinkin about 18500-19000 pics http://briefcase.yahoo.com/yzf560

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As a pratical matter, I think it will be hard to find a car that doesn't need something unless you pay for that priviledge. A minor accident could require a 1/4 panel and rust in the windshield area is common. You could replace the lower dash panel, if that is what is required, and repair the inner 1/4 area where it was replaced to not show any work being done (you'll need to be a contortionist to do it). As for as the motor, how much is the car worth to you as it sits? If the owner sees that you are a serious buyer, maybe he will deal in good faith.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The rust on the dash and in the trunk most likely originated from rot under the front and rear glass. Dirt and crud accumulates under the molding for the front and rear glass. This keeps moisture trapped under the molding and causes the rot. The front and rear glass will need to be removed to fix this. After washing the car it's a good idea to use compressed air and blow out any stuff under the molding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
First of all welcome to the best Camaro site period. You will learn a lot here.
There is a lot of truth to the statement "You get what you pay for". It can be even more true when you are shopping for an old car. But you have to be EXTREMELY careful and do your homework. Rust is just a fact of life with these cars. Some have more and some have less but unless you are willing to pay, or just get very lucky, you will probably be dealing with it on some level. Now that is not intended to scare you off or cause undue worry, but just to be careful. Then with that in mind it comes down to how much are you willing to deal with? Rust repair costs money, obviously. Mine has surface rust all over the inside of the body panels, under the dash and under the rear valance beneath the window. It is so light that I can literally rub it off down to the bare metal. For me that is ok. The cost associated with getting that removed and treated so it doesn't come back is just more than I am willing to pay. The rear quarters have bubbling in the openings. I am willing to pay to have that repaired. So it really boils down to economics and what you want with the car.
Personally, I wouldn't let that kind of rust, in and of itself, be a show stopper. Just look at it really close and maybe even get a second opinion or two.
Good luck and keep us informed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the advice.I have been into camaros for some time but now im really getting into it.I guess rust is just commen after 30+ years.My main thing with this car is a soid body and frame.I jacked the car up and a buddy of mine who has built a few rods.He
went with me and we both decided you can eat dinner of the frame its that clean.The paint though can hide alot and was done before this guy bought the car.I guess i should do the magnet trick.I also understand im not getting a perfect car.I guess the bottom line is these cars if taken care of will only go up in value.Again thanks for the advice

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
The pic's show a very presentable car!! That said I can't see it up close and have to ask for proof it is indeed a Z/28. Half of the ones produced don't have an X code to designate it's a Z and clones or reproductions are 3-1 for every real Z car. If it's a real Z I feel the mods done (mirrors, interior painted bumpers as well as some items under the hood make it an expensive car to restore.

The pic's show a big block heater box, fan shroud and the wrong master cyl for a Z (common replacement though as it has a larger fluid capacity) as well as the other items I mentioned. Someone went to some trouble and invested some money into this car. I understand why the seller is high ballin' his asking price. that doesn't mean the car is worth it.

A 2 year old restoration that has visual signs of rust damage already throws up a red flag to me. My guess is corners were cut to get the car out the door. If the trunk isn't too bad it can be fixed without too much expense unless it has to be patched or replaced completly. The dash could be expensive !!

If you are looking for a Z/28 you will be so upside down dollar wise by the time you go through the car and correct all the mods and round up a DZ 302 for it. You can find a nice restored correct '69 Z for $30K, you'll be hard pressed to turn that car into a correct Z for an additional $12K... If you want a big block pro-touring "G" machine you could be going in the right direction if you could get that car for $15K or a bit less... That is if you don't have to spend thousands to fix rust problems.

As I said the car has real curb appeal in the pic's. Take a good hard look at it and where you want to go and what it will cost you to get there... That should help you decide what you are willing to pay for the car...

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
I think he's asking too much for it. Without seeing it in person (pics can be misleading) and going by your description, I would place it in the 13K-16K range and that's if it's a real Z. Post the VIN and cowl tag numbers here and we'll make sure they line up correctly. The more questions you ask before you buy, the better.

[ 04-17-2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Jonesy ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the comments.I dont want a Z but if it is a real Z its just a bonus.The big block stuff like the shroud and heater core were done 2 look correct.The rust spots are small but none the less they are there.I agree it is a high price.I know a bit about pricing these cars and its worth way more than 10k.Ive seen what you get for that and its not much.I would pay 15-16k but i know he wont take that.18500 is what i think he wants.The pictures really dont do the car any justice.It's a great lookin car but i dont wanna overpay.Anybody got a big block 4 speed car for sale non# matching a +.I've seen everything the web has to offer.I've also thought about builing a big block car but it seem i will end up 30 in the hole as i would wanna do it right. thanks guys the help is priceless :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO its not.Funny you ask though.I've been lookin alot and that guy seems to be the camaro dealer.I see cars in so-cal for sale then that guy has them.The guy who has this car is a good guy im pretty sure of this, but he just wants top dollar.I've got lots of input from people on this site and another site.I think im gonna pass on this car.I can say this I've learned alot already.Hey DjD if you see any big block 4 speeds for sale in the area let me know ive got about $20000 give or take.If you see a project 4 speed let me know also thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts