Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I've got a question for the brake gurus. I'm almost done with a suspension and brake upgrade, but I have an issue that I am hoping you guys can help me solve. I know, the more information the better, so apologies is this ends up being long. I've installed a complete 4 wheel disc brake kit from Touring Classics. It all seems to work right except that I have a squeak coming from the right (passenger) rear wheel.

Symptoms: I noticed it on my first shake down run, but it was only a very slight sound. The second time I took it out was to bed the pads and rotors, and after two or three hard stops, the squeak sounded like a scrape, and was louder. As I drove it home, the sound gradually quieted over a couple of blocks. The squeak/scrape only happens at a certain position of wheel rotation. Additional runs produce the same result...quiet squeak, then louder squeak/scrape after a few good stops.
Ok this is what I've done and checked, and what I don't think it is...The caliper appears to be mounted square (to my calibrated eye :)) and in roughly the same relative location as the drivers side caliper. I've not checked the exact tolorances.

I don't think the issue is in the brake line or with fluid blockage. I have all new line, except for the rubber line at the t-fitting in the back, and a new combo valve. No hidden residual pressure valves. And, if it were pressure related, I would expect something similar with the driver brake.

Inspection of the rotor shows only the slightest bit of wear near the chamfered edge in one particular area. Almost as if the outer edge of the rotor touches the caliper.

I've loosened up the ebrake cable.

I did not replace the axel bearings.

The systems been bled, no leaks, good pedal feel. :confused:
Could something be out of round, like an axel flange or rotor? Sticky caliper? I've looked at the inside of the caliper and did not notice anything totally obvious. There may be a little wear mark at the top inside of the caliper at a high spot in the casting. Anybody think that I can grind down that high spot? It's definitely not a critical surface. Any help would be appreciated. I'd call TC, but I have to wait until Monday and I would really like to cruise it tomorrow. Hopfully you guys can suggest some items to look at.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I had to turn both my outer flange dia's and the inner wheel boss/register's just a bit before the rotors would fit on my 12-bolt axles.

And it just may be that your rotors are rubbing a schosh on either the inside caliper throat OR the pad's just may be rubbing the rotor at the very start of the "hat"???

As well as the rotor "kissing" a caliper guide bolt????

I'd R&R it AND look for ANY shiney spots EVERYWHERE!!

pdq67

PS., and one last point, how much in/out axle/C-clip play do you have?? Might need to shim the C-clips some??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey pdq, thanks for the reply.

The rotors appear to fit pretty flush on the axles, but I'll start with a wire wheel to make sure. Caliper bolts are well out of the way. And, the pads do not appear to be near the hat.

Axel play is not something that I thought about. I don't have a service manual, so anyone know how much play is allowed?

I will drive it again and reinspect the inside of the calipar housing for shiney spots. Maybe hit it with some black paint in an attempt to really find the offending area(s).

Any other suggestions guys?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts