Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the type of Steering Wheel I have on my 68

The center button is off right now with one wire sticking up in the middle. Right in the center is a circular doughnut shaped piece of metal that is supposed to have some springs beneath it. These springs should be there to push this metal up to where it will make contact with the button. When the button is pushed, the metal ring beneath it is supposed to make ground contact with the steering base and activate the horn. What I need to know is where can I find these springs that hold the metal ring up. When I press the wire to the steering column nut (ground) the horn will work, but I need the center button spring.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about or where I can find this spring?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
That stuff "should" have come with the wheels installation kit. If you don't have all the peices, you may be able to pick up a Grant install kit at an auto-zone, they carry them. The spring for the button is usually an inch long and wound so it's fat on one end.
The wiring contacts can be a pain. There "should" be a short piece of wire with a button on one end and a small spade connector on the other, along with some insulators and a small spring. I've used ball point pen springs here with success. The connector on the wire attachesto the doughnut. The other end goes thru the extra hole in the hub and is held in place by an insulater and spring loded to make contact with the car's turn signal cancelling cam.
The "doughnut" doesn't actually have a spring. The horn button clips onto it and the center spring, pushing the button out, also pushes the doughnut out.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm gonna call autozone today with a printout of this and see if they have what you recommend in stock :cool:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,, sorry for the late follow-up. I found what I needed on eBay.

Thank again guys :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts