Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and haven't had success on replacing my ignition switch. Can someone please help this Canuck?
I've tried to turn the key back a quarter turn and I have pressed the small spring inside the lock cylinder, but nothing is happening.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Keep trying! You might be turning the key to the wrong side or not depressing the spring fully. There is a bit of a trick to it. This is the only way to get it off short of destroying the original parts!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chop top, when I turn it back a Quarter turn I depress the spring loaded ball in the ignition lock and nothing happens. How does the key cylinder come out? I've tried pulling on the key while depressing. Sad thing is I just got back from the U.S. and I bought a 67 Camaro assembly manual for this and other projects and there is not one mention of this procedure.

·
Registered
503 Posts
After You push in push on the paperclip or whatever in the hole (from the acc position), You have to turn the cylinder counterclockwise, it will reach a point where it will pull out......

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX for your advice 18436572. it sounds like i have to push on the key while I push on the paper clip. I will try! Is there a reverse procedure after i install the new one?

·
Registered
503 Posts
You don't really have to push on the key, maybe jiggle it a little, as well as the paperclip, main thing is to turn it CCW....

No paperclip required for installation, just put the key into the new cyl and slide it into the switch(from the same position that the old cyl came out) and turn the key clockwise...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts