Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to you guys the Camaro is damn near ready to fire up. The motor cranks over and is getting gas but seems to have no spark. The distributor is a HEI unit. I ran a wire from the fuse block off the "heater" terminal. I tested it and it only had power when key was turned in the forward position. But when I crank the motor over..nothing! I pulled #1 plug wire off and layed the boot next to the plug and cranked it over...no spark. The distributor is almost brand new and worked perfect before. Can you guys tell me what color wire needs to go to the "bat" on the HEI?? Any other way to test for spark? This baby wants to start up!

·
Registered
768 Posts
is that the rotor laying over there on the bench?? i know this has happened to somebody, somewhere....uh besides me

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
If you look into the fuse block, you'll find an IGN post. Hook the HEI power source to this post. Use a min of #12 AWG wire to hook up. Color is not specific, but red would look nice and conforms to other HEI schematics.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Everett, I will check on the ign. post. The thing I dont understand is why the other wire did not work?? It had power when the key was turned in the foward postion.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The Fan power source does not get power when the car is cranking, you need to be on a circuit that has power in both the Start and run position. Make sure you have the yellow wire run from the starter "R" terminal to the HEI and then you can use the fan circuit, or any circuit that is hot when the key is in run only. The yellow wire will supply 12V from the starter during cranking and then you other circuit will provide power whn the key is released. If you have a mini starter with only two terminals DO NOT jump from the purple wire at the starter to the HEI, or the starter will never disengage because the HEI circuit will backfeed the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh...ok . I dont have any yellow wire to the starter and I do have a mini starter with the two terminals. So tell me if I am on track here...I need to first find the "yellow" wire in the wiring harness and run it to the small connector on the mini starter. This is the same pole that the purple wire is connected too. Once the yellow wire goes from the harness to the little pole it needs to then go to "bat" on the HEI? Sound right?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Nope, the yellow wire goes bye bye if you have the mini starter..should be purple wire to the starter "s" terminal and big red wir to "bat" terminal.

The yellow wire is to run 12v to the hei when cranking the motor when using a standard starter.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks....no yellow wire. Just need the right 12v wire that gets power when key is to run and start but no power when key is off.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everett, Thanks man! I found that post and it worked! Had power in both the run/start.

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
We are glad to help, this is why we are here. You may want to add a 15 amp inline fuse to this supply line just in case. This IGN post on the fuse box is not fused.

[ 06-15-2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Everett#2390 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts