Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any good ideas on powering elec. cooling fans,msd ign, elec. fuel pump, and all these gauges.I know theres a better way than the side of the fuse box or the starter I just don't know what it is. Can I feed a small fuse box from the batt or something and disperse power from there. I currently have a 100amp ext. regulated alt with trunk mounted battery. Throw some ideas my way I don't want a fire or burned up parts from insufficient power to them. Thanks everybody

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
it would be just like wiring a house. you can put as many fuse blocks as you want, where you want if you use the proper size wire

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sick,
I am also wiring a 67 for heavy loads. Not sure how yours is wired but if it is like it came from the factury here are a Few things to think about. On mine the one wire alt connects to a junction block buy the battery. Then from the junction through a 14ga fuse link to the battery. If you wire any big loads to the battery at the battery + terminal or at the starter then all those loads will lower battery voltage. The reason would be due to that 14ga fuse link charging the battery. Not big enough!
Here is what I intend to do wiring up my AC and head lights. 8ga wire fused from the junction the alt is wired to by the battery to a hidden fuse distribution over behind the washer bottle.( driver side) the distribution box will have 8 fused circuits allowing room to grow for other circuits. I am using 8ga because I have a one wire alt and I am trying to limit voltage drop. The headlights will be on relays. The AC will be on a relay controlled by the ign switch.
Not sure you want to do it this way but may give you some ideas.
John

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I highly recommend you check out MadElectrical.com and use their updated charging system. You can buy the kit from them that will supply everything you need and instructions which I did on my 68. I did my 72 truck the same way , just bought the pieces myself. It is a better charging system, everything is fused and allows for future expansion. They have good tech articles you should read that explain everything including suggestions for trunk mounted batteries, headlight upgrade with relays (works great!), starter solenoid, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts