Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of heads that a buddy gave to me. Can u decode them for me?

The numbers on the heads are #3782461 w/the #64 stamped just above the 3 and 7. on both heads on the left side (looking down at the head horizontally)

Center of head the is GM w/13 stamped below it.

Right side of 1st head is stamped #L23 w/13 stamped below it. 2nd head right side is #K293.

I am told these are camel hump heads. What exactly is a camel hump head and what is special of rare about them and why are they a rare to find or one of many choice sets to have?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
MY DAD GOTS SOME OF THEM ON HIS 383 AND IT RUNS A 13.8 WITH NO CAM AT ALL SO THEY MUST BE PRETTY GOOD , HIS HEADS JUST HAVE 2 BUMPS RIGHT ON THE FRONT OF EACH HEAD SHOULD HAVE 2 ARCS DUNNO VALVES SIZES NO TELLIN THOSE HEADS ARE OLD BUT PRETTY GOOD.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Camel Hump heads are the term used to describe the early small block performance heads offered by Chevrolet and were commonly found on fuelie Corvettes and LT-1 motors. The Camel Hump is the description on the casting marks on either end of the head. You look on the ends you will see what looks like 2 humps. Good set of heads for a performance motor with good flow and large valves. Used in most solid lifter applications at GM......

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

·
Registered
134 Posts
# 461 heads were used from ' 62-66, and then changed over to # 462 heads mid year 1966. They were used on a few 250 hp. engines, but mostly 275-300-350-365-375 hp. engines. The 300 hp. and lower engines had 1.94/1.5 valves, and the ones above 300hp. had 2.02/1.6 valves. They flowed around 160cc., except for the X versions, which flowed around 175cc., and they all had 62-64 cc. combustion chambers. From a performance state, if they are good, use them, but if they need much work at all, you are better off buying a aftermarket set, and selling these to a restorer. They will bring anywhere from $100- up , depending on condition, and market. I've seen good ones priced at $700+.

------------------
Many Used Parts for Chevelles, and Camaros- Just ask!
Team Chevelle Tag Team Moderator

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good performance heads of the 60s. Yours are from November 1963. Drawbacks today are no accessory holes on head ends, no hardened seats, most likely worn out guides. Should take them apart and have a good look at seats and valve faces, check the guide wear, look for cracks between valves. Might be pretty decent heads still, but they don't have a lot of value these days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They are also called double hump heads. They do ok for street applications, and even mild performance stuff. But for the serious racer, they are not too hot. My dad pory, polished, put big valves in, and bronze guides. Took about two weeks. Put them on a 415 with 13.1 compression. Made 450 hp, and 400 lbs torque. Plus the cracked in the water jacket on the dyno. So we bought a set of Dart Iron Eagles polished them up a little bit put them on. Motor made 660 hp and 600 lb torque. They are a bit more expensive, but they make a lot more power than double humps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts