Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while pondering on making a zl1 clone i came across a few questions that i need answers for. did they have 120 or 140 mph speedometers, what redline did the tachometer have (if any tach), could you get deluxe interior with console gauges, and was the rear spoiler available?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
As a builder of Yenko Tribute Car (I prefer that, to Clone) I have had several years to form opinions on how to build.

First, since you are building a tribute car, you have two options. 1. Copy a real one. 2. Build it however you want.

If it were me, I would strongly consider copying the ZL1 show car. It was a black RS car with gold Z28 stripes and gold accent stripes. I think it had black houndstooth interior. Charlie, jump in, here! I personally think it is the prettiest of the lot, and if I had been aware of it back when I started mine, I probably would have gone that route. If you go this route, Charlie can help out, as he owned (maybe still does) a real nice ZL1 show car replica. If not, I have some pics from a magazine article that I can color copy and send to you.

I chose to copy a real Yenko, with a couple of minor differences. namely Z21 and Z23, which were not included on the one I chose to copy. My car was originally an A/C car, and I chose to keep the A/C. I got all 69 b/b a/c parts, and had to modify one of the a/c brackets to attach to the exhaust, since the 840 heads did not have the necessary accessory bolt hole bosses.

If you chose to copy one, check the list from the 9560list link, above. You will see that there was only one (other than the show car) that had deluxe interior (LeMans Blue automatic with Ivory houndstooth).

However, if you choose to design your own, remember that J50/J52 was required, and everything else available on an L78 Camaro was possible. (that excludes A/C)

Now to your specific questions:
1. 140 Speedo was part of the COPO 9737 package, which also included the 13/16" sway bar and 15" rally wheels. This was kind of a "Yenko Only" option, although it was technically available to any dealer. However, only a handfull of non-Yenko COPOs were built with this option.
2. If a tach was ordered, it would be the same as L78 which was a 6000 redline/7000 unit.

Have fun....let us know what direction you choose to take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts