Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Fathers Day everyone. After determining that an inner axle seal wasn’t needed for my application, I decided to start putting it all together. It doesn’t look like the axles go far enough in the tube. I smacked them with a dead low to make sure they were seated and there’s no question they’re all the way in. You can see the edge of the seal sticks out too far preventing the retainer from even going on the threads of the T bolt enough to start the nut with a lockwasher on it. I know those nuts only torque to 40 lbs and I know to tighten them diagonally. Does the retainer not snug up against the brake backing plate? Are my parts wrong?
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive exterior

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm thinking you might have the wrong retainers but I would first check with your rear end company that it was purchased from or check with Moser.

Moser makes different housing ends for GM vehicles with different bearings, some are flush mount ball bearings, it looks like yours are tapered roller.

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
You could put a little grease on the axle splines and insert them. Pull them back out to see how much contact you have inside the rear end. This will confirm they were really inserted into the gears.

Wood Tool Nickel Auto part Metal

Are the bearings pressed all the way on the axle shaft?

Gas Nickel Metal Electric blue Fashion accessory

I don't know if the 12 bolt has different axle offsets. If it does, then this could be the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the bearings are all the way on to me.
Light Black Automotive tire Camera lens Gas

The retainer is only wide enough to sit in front of that black O ring. It looks like it needs to be wide enough to fit over the next step up so maybe another 3/8” or so.

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
My retaining plate fits around the large diameter part of the seal where the top arrow is pointing. It does not fit the smaller O ring area. It looks like you need a bigger hole in the retaining horseshoe ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts