Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm yanking out the 396 thats burning oil. Thinking of going with a ZZ427 or something along those power lines (450-550 hp). While its in there (easy way to run up cost)

Theres beat up long tubes going into a flowmaster exhaust, no crossover. I love the way it idles but not crazy as it runs up.

Headers:
I'm ok going with shorty's. Someone before me banged those and I get rub on full lock.

Sanderson BB1MV (sandersonheaders.com)

Was thinking these with black ceramic coating. Sleek look. 1 7/8" seems like a good collector size. I could be swayed to do formal long tubes.

Exhaust:

Currently, I have a Flowmaster (presumably 40s) and 2.5" and rear exit exhaust. The bumper is a bit sooty (white car) and I'm not crazy about the tips, so I think I'll go with the stock exit this time.

67-69 3" F-Body H-Bomb Quarter Panel Exit w/ H-Pipe System SGF44 (pypesexhaust.com)

Looks like my power target would be on the cutoff of 2.5" vs 3" duals.

Seem pretty reasonable/matched?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I just installed Dougs D320 on my 69 427. They fit amazing with zero issues. Ill be installed a Pypes 3" system here in the next week or two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm yanking out the 396 thats burning oil. Thinking of going with a ZZ427 or something along those power lines (450-550 hp). While its in there (easy way to run up cost)

Theres beat up long tubes going into a flowmaster exhaust, no crossover. I love the way it idles but not crazy as it runs up.

Headers:
I'm ok going with shorty's. Someone before me banged those and I get rub on full lock.

Sanderson BB1MV (sandersonheaders.com)

Was thinking these with black ceramic coating. Sleek look. 1 7/8" seems like a good collector size. I could be swayed to do formal long tubes.

Exhaust:

Currently, I have a Flowmaster (presumably 40s) and 2.5" and rear exit exhaust. The bumper is a bit sooty (white car) and I'm not crazy about the tips, so I think I'll go with the stock exit this time.

67-69 3" F-Body H-Bomb Quarter Panel Exit w/ H-Pipe System SGF44 (pypesexhaust.com)

Looks like my power target would be on the cutoff of 2.5" vs 3" duals.

Seem pretty reasonable/matched?
You are correct that your power level is the transition point between 2.5" to 3", but if you're mainly street driven, go 2.5". The H-Pipe is a great choice for street cars as it helps boost low end torque. Your FM 40's are loud. If you want to stay loud, order the system with Violators. Street Pro's are a bit quieter, Race Pro's even more quieter. If you want something quieter than that, order the system without mufflers and use a 14" or 16" Dynomax Super Turbo. Pypes has a new turbo muffler out that is a copy of the 14" DST, but they're not offered on the 67-69 2.5" H-Pipe system yet.
Pypes 2.5" H-Pipe system

1 - 4 of 4 Posts