Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - anyone know if the stock 5 quart pan from a 74 pickup truck (where the 454 came from) will fit in my '69 camaro? I'm worried about it hitting the frame. If so, the 7 quart jobs look nice but a wee bit pricey - this conversion has already cost a lot more than I planned. Can you say divorce?

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't know for sure about the oil pan fitting! But I do know about the divorce in building a big block engine. My wife is still mad over it,after almost 5 mo's of having it paid for, now she is pissed over having to go thru all of the brakes to stop it. lol they get mad when we play & spend money that they want to spend!

------------------
johnny

[This message has been edited by johnnyr (edited 11-23-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I think I crossed referenced this along time ago and found out they were the same pan. If not, I'm in trouble tooo because I'm going to use the '75 big pickup truck pan for my '67. I guess I'll find out.

Will post if or if not it fits, just so's everybody will know.

I do know that a "big" truck, like an agricultural lime spreading truck, 409 pan fits with stock motor and 350 frame mounts!!! I put seven qts of oil in it. pdq67

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think the truck pan will fit. I did a lot of research on this several months ago, and determined the only GM pan that would fit is the 4 qt version.

I changed out a chrome Moroso kick out style pan with the 4 quart version. I have still have that pan if you are interested. I also have the accompying windage tray and a stud kit for all the mains.

I was going more for the stock look on my car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the input...since there's no consensus I think I'll try the pan I've got and lower it very carefully. Then be really ticked at myself for being such a tightwad when it doesn't fit! LOL

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jon T, I not sure about your 74, but I installed a 396 from a 69 c-20 pickup which was the org mtr in a 67 conv and it fit perfect, even the canister type oil filter.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

·
Registered
236 Posts
Make sure the steering linkage does not hit the pan when turning. I would have the car in the air and turn the steering lock to lock and check clearance. My big block Moroso deep sump pan with built-in windage tray and kickouts just barely hits on very
sharp turns.....

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the posts, guys. I'm now very comfortable that it's going to fit. Whew! One less thing that I don't have to go buy...YES!!!

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jon, FWIW, I alwys use the GM L88 pan and windage tray. Fits Camaros, Chevelles, Vettes, Vegas, Show boxes, Tipolinos, everything but early Dueces I think!

Truck pan might be OK Good luck.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

1 - 11 of 11 Posts