Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently in my 69 Camaro I have a Water Temp and oil pressure guage (Oil Mech, Water Electric). I want to add a voltmeter and Auto meter sells are really nice 4 position plate for the front of a 69/69 Console (where org gauge would go). I want to use auto meters in stead of orginal guages due to the auto meters guages being more accurate.

Anyways, I have one more hole I need to fill with a guage. What would be the most useful guage to have for a daily driver. I am keeping my gas guage in the dash. I am thinking ether engin vacumme, trans temp, or a gas rich/lean guage. Any ideas anyone? Thank you.

------------------
Thou shall not convet they neighbor,s Camaro

69 SS350

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you have a performance stall convertor? If so, then I'd go with a tranny temp guage for peace of mind. However, the vacuum guage would be cool as well.

The coolest might be to get a fuel guage and stick it in, then stick a monster tach where the oem fuel guage was. That's on my personal wish list for my '69.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I installed a fuel pressure gauge. A little pricey because you need remote capability but I can tell when a fuel problem arises, filter getting tired, etc.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I put an Autometer clock in mine. It may not be listed in the catalog, but they do make them to match your other gauges.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would personally opt for a trans temp guage since I always mange to burn them up anyway!!!

The shift light is a good idea but the problem is if it isn't is your direct line of sight it is pretty useless.

If you ever run juice, a NOS pressure gauge would be very slick here as well or a boost gauge if you are supercharged or turbocharged.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it seams the most popular 4th gauge is ether the vacumme or Trans Temperature. I have a cooler on my tranny now with a stock converter (auto). I guess I sould see if autometer makes a 5 guage pod for the 69 Camaro console.

I was wondering....what will a vacumme guage really tell you? Loss of vacumme means what?

·
Registered
775 Posts
A vacuum gauge just tells you how much manifold vacuum that the engine is holding. They are great tools for engine tuning, but I don't see the purpose in having one inside the car. I think that cars that did come with them had a range displayed on it. Keep the needle in that range for maximum fuel economy. I doubt that you bought a Camaro for its excellent fuel economy. I'd love to hear any other good reasons to have a vacuum gauge in a car. If you have an automatic, Transmission temperature would be a good idea. I have a manual so I went for the clock.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...perhaps the tranny temperature gauge would be the best. What kinda temp range would I need for a stock 350 trubo with a stock converter?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
A vacuum gauge in the car could be used for power valve tuning.
Going through the traps after a run, or between gear changes, it would let you see if the power valve "fell off".
Or, if you're interested in fuel mileage, you could cruise at max vac.
It could be used as an "early warning" for a valve problem at idle.

Just my .02

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

·
Registered
46 Posts
Put a vac gauge. You can impress your honey with some useless info. Or you could tell the less motor inclined that it is a power gauge. Give you something to pull someones leg for a while.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The early 60's Grand Prix came with a "Miles Per Gallon" gauge, which was a vacuum gauge that purported to display true MPG. Rather worthless until it hit zero! But kind of fun and can help with carb tuning I guess. Trans temp might be more useful.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts