Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on rebuilding books and came up with 2 of them. Which one would be the best?

"HP Books: How to Rebuild your Small-Block Chevy"525-1-557-880298
HP Books: How to Rebuild your Small-Block Chevy
Outlines how to remove, strip, recondition, rebuild and replace your small block engine--all in step-by-step clarity. Covers all years and models: 262, 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350 and 400 cid engines.

or

"SA Design: How To Build the Small Block Chevrolet" 840-26-1
SA Design: How To Build the Small Block Chevrolet
Step-by-step on how to build a street or racing small block Chevy in your own garage. Includes disassembly, parts inspection, required tools, how to avoid costly mistakes, plus hundreds of performance tips.

Both of these are in Jegs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you are refering to the book by David Visard is is a great book. It's the one I used and it is nice to have it around as a referance book.

The only thing I wondered about is that it was written a while back and it might not be as up to date with new techniques, but it worked fine for me.

Dan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Supv26 - email me your address. I've got one of the books you listed - how to build a sb chevy. Good book and really all you should need. I really don't need it any more.

[email protected]

Randy

·
Registered
269 Posts
Will put it in mail tomorrow. You should have it by Fri or Sat. Don't have it with me at work today.

Randy

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If you're just getting into engine building, I'd recomment a book called "John Lingenfelter on Small Block Chevy's". IMO John has a very practical perspective on building a street performance motor that many of the others tend to overlook.

-dnult

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dan, got your email. Book is in the mail. Don't know about the engine in the weeds, but you could always take it apart and see what it looks like. Engine kits from Northern Auto Parts aren't that expensive and you could probably get a local machine shop to check out the basic block and heads (clean, magnaflux, etc) for about $100. Then comes the boring, honing, etc. Assembling is pretty easy. This book helped me alot after I got a short block and a set of heads from a local engine builder.

Randy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Visard's book is the best. Just recently ordered a new to fill in for my old ragged out copy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vizards book has my vote as well. I worked in speed shops as when I started out in engines and there is no end to money you can throw at a mill. Vizard is a cost effective engine planner. The great news is small block Chevy's are a snap to hot rod and as witnessed by this forum, there is no end to the help out there. Vizard is also very correct in pointing the importance of the exhuast set up to the final product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts