Votes: 13 65.0%
  • AGR 13:1-16:1 Variable Ratio PS Box

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a complete poly front end rebuild kit on my 69 Camaro and now would like to upgrade the stock PS box. I have it narrowed down to the AGR 12.7:1 constant ratio or AGR 13:1-16:1 variable ratio box. If any one has used either of these boxes can you please provide your likes and dislikes of the box. Yes I have searched through past post also. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So, how twichy is a 12.7 box? Will it make my motion sensitive wife car sick? :p
It's not twitchy at all, it's just fast. Noticeably faster than my 2000 Mustang GT daily driver, but still feels fine on the highway. You just don't turn the wheel nearly as far as you used to. One note though, I have a an AGR 12:1 billet box, which has very firm valving. A fast ratio box with 60's style "pinky-steer" valving would be a nightmare IMO. YMMV with Cardone boxes--I've heard the vavling can be a crapshoot on those.

·
10,164 Posts
Rodder,
Yes, firm valving is a must, and you must steer in very small amounts when going straight down the road. I'd say any late model Camaro or Vette would require the same type of steering input.

I'd spend the extra money to get an AGR box just to insure you get the firm valving, plus it uses no adapers and a stock first gen steering coupler works on it.
David

Guys, please post how many turns lock to lock with your combo.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I already bought the kit from lee. Still go Cardone or chuck and go agr. I just don't want headaches. Anything should be an improvment over my ancient quick ratio box. Thanks. Brian

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'll have to get back to you on the turns to lock--I broke my turn signal switch Tuesday night and decided this would be a good time to replace the whole column with a rebuilt tilt column from Rick's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd also like to hear how many turns lock to lock. What length pitman and spindle arm would be a plus too.

My 12.7 without the steering linkages connected is a hair under 3 turns. I'll post my specs with long pitman and short spindle arms when I get it all put back together.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I remembered this thread when I was fixing my turn signal cancel today. With the AGR 12:1 "billet" box and Rare Parts (Rick's # SS-750) pitman arm, my steering is exactly 2 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Like Dave, I like very quick ratios probably because I do a lot of night driving on winding HWY's of the Cambrian Shield. I rather like my 70Z ratio but after driving European Rack and Pinion for years, I've often thought about mounting a Volvo unit in my Camaro and I've got this 67 Salisbury Jag XKE 3.55 Posi with Inboard Dunlop 11" discs, 4 Coil over shock in the original Cage with hubs mounting GM wheels ,,,, etc. AC/Z28 - LOL

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is that the long or short pitman arm?
Do you have the long or short outer steering arms?
Thanks, David
I think I have the long pitman arm and the short steering arms. Can you tell from these pictures?

http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4372.html
http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4375.html
http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4376.html

Also, the two turns to lock was where the steering arms hit their stops with the front wheels off the ground. I could muscle the wheel maybe an 1/8th of a turn or so more each direction after that (with the engine running). I'm not sure exactly what I was flexing (idler?). I also noticed at some point that my inner tierod had smacked the left side of my winged oil pan--may have been before I got it aligned, it has about 1/4" clearance at the moment with the wheels hanging and turned hard left.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just a point of information. The variable ratio Saginaw box is 16:1 right on center and 13:1 near full lock. So you might find it rather slow on center. The variable ratio does cut down on the total number of turns - full lock to full lock.

JIML82

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.