Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '69 396/350 4-spd w/a remanufactured 7040206 IF Rochester. There was no vacuum to the distributor, so I pulled the carb, removed the base (part w/butterflies) and I noticed the dist vacuum port hole came from the tube on the outside and passed down through the thick base gasket and right into a "dead-end" rectangle shaped hole in the base. IT WENT NOWHERE! My base # is 40687. I don't know if the gasket is supposed to connect this hole to an adjacent hole into the venturi or if the base is wrong or what??? I'm guessing the vacuum to advance the distributor should come out above the butterfly, not below. Any ideas or places I can call ? Has anyone seen this before? Help....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
check that there is a multiport fitting behind the carb on the manifold that will supply full vacuume. Power breaks may or may not be hooked up to it.. Your choice it to connect to it, or there may be a vacuume out tube on the front left corner of the carb. Advance should get full vacuume and not ported.

If niether of these exist. go to your local auto store and ask for a manifold vacuume port adapter. You'll likely find it on the performance isle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, that's more like it. I connected the distributor to a tube sticking out just above the white nylon choke unload diaphram. I have 15 Hg of vacuum now to the distributor. This engine has probably been running retarded for the last 8 years. Now I need to set the initial timing and should probably have the dist put on a Sun machine so I know where I'm at. Any suggestions on initial or what my vacuum gage should read at that port at 800 RPM? Or any other RPM? It's a '69 SS396/350 manual M20 trans stock engine w/3:55 posi rear. Thanks, Chuck S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip, I got it up to 12* and it seems to start right up and run pretty good, but I think I really need to find out what is going on in my distributor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts