Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put an overdrive in my 69 with mild 402 bbc. estimate 450hp 500ftlb torque.

I want to retain the factory console with horseshoe shifter if possible.
I want fully electronic.

Who are some good vendors out there?

Also, what speedo will I have to run. I want the speedo to appear factory.

Thanks.

·
14,259 Posts
700 or 200 R4 bult for the power with a good TC. You can use th OEM shifter with a conversion kit. Speedo can keep factory no problem.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after going through several 700r4's in my chevy II and a couple 2004R's in my GN I think I am going to try a 4L65e from Monster. They sell a complete package with the tcm and shift plate for the horseshoe shifter.

·
14,259 Posts
after going through several 700r4's in my chevy II and a couple 2004R's in my GN I think I am going to try a 4L65e from Monster. They sell a complete package with the tcm and shift plate for the horseshoe shifter.
My advice is Stay Away from Monster.

I bought a "built for 700 hp" 700R4 package for my 55 Belair with a Merlin 509.

Total piece of garbage. Installed it with the TC and wouldn't work. They sent me a new tranny. Installed it No good. Sent me another TC Installed it NO Good. Bought a Hayes TC from Summit. Installed it and it worked OK. 5 times installed to finally get it to work.

I sold the car and a year or so later the buyer let me know that he had issues with the tranny and the shop took it apart. Zero upgraded parts and many obviously used parts. Basically just an everyday cheap rebuilt tranny.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,648 Posts
What were you running before? If you had a TH400, Gear Vendors might be another option for you.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Get a 4L80E. Search the site for which years to get. Earlier ones had the trans fluid fittings closer to the front making it easier to install the cooler lines. Google Jakeshoe. A 4L80E is essentially a Turbo 400 with overdrive added. Common swap nowadays.

Reactions: 1SLOW64

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice. good to know about monster and about the early 4l80's cooler port location. That was one of the reason I was looking at the 4l60e.

I have some time so i'll keep searching.....

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with my '67 - decided to go with a brand new 4L85E SuperMatic from GMMP. These can be had for $2750 shipped and according to GM good to 700hp/700tq. ratios 1st: 2.48, 2nd: 1.48, 3rd: 1.00, 4th: 0.75

GM Converter, cross-member from Alston, Sweets coolant fittings. There are plenty of hand-held controller options now from TCI, Fast, MSD, in the $500-600 price range.

Can't help on the factory speedo, Jakes setup does have that covered.

Tom

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pace sells a cable drive stepper motor to run the stock gauges with the electronic trans.., I am going with that for my convertible, ls3 480 with the 4L70E.

Reactions: 1SLOW64

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you find a newer 4l80 they make banjo bolts to help with the new style cooling location.
I just got a connect and cruise kit from GM they have a 4l85 supermatic they made to work with the 572 it takes 650 engine tq.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts