Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have a 1989 Firebird, I converted it over to Carb. if it matters.

Anyways, I replaced the starter yesterday, still doesent start,my old one bench tested bad and shot out sparks...
the new one tested good.

So today I jumped the 2 terminals on the starter together, and the starter engaged.

For some reason, its not getting power, what else could it be, im thinking the ignition tumbler...is there anything else?
how hard is it to replace the tumbler?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If it has a manual tranny there's a safety switch on the clutch pedal that may have gone bad. Automatics have a neutral safety switch probably on the shifter on an '89. GM used purple 12 gauge wires for the starter circuit in '69. I don't know if that's changed for '89. As for the tumbler, it moves a rod back and forth that actuates the ignition switch mounted on the steering column under the dash. I'd make sure the switch is OK first. Hope this was helpful.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 700r4 Auto. tranny.

so I took down the panel under the dash, and there must be 500 wires under there, all in harnesses, so how do I know which one goes to the tumbler? and how do I test if that switch is bad?
Also, which 2 wires would I have to connect to "hotwire" it? I need this car on the road tommorow early, and wont have any time to dick around with it. So even a temp. fix will help a lot.
Thanx

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts