Team Camaro Tech banner

need starter wire and igniton switch wire colors

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  novaderrik 
#1 ·
i have a 1967 rs camaro....i want to put a push button start switch inside the car but i dont know what colors im suppose to use to hook up the push button switch,,,my car does have a 350 chevy engine...any help?....the switch has only 2 terminals so i need color of 2 wires ,,,thanks .

#2 ·
It may be best to wire it ( fused ) from the battery terminal to the solenoid terminal on the starter. This leaves the ignition wiring intact and allows you to still turn the key on for juice to the coil. You can use a 12v lead from the ignition box that only works when the key is turned on, preventing a unwanted button push started activation. If you choose to go to the solenoid, be sure to cap off the old wire there and tuck it away so you don't get a short. Under the dash, the wire from the ignition switch is purple is to the starter solenoid.

Kev

#3 ·
assuming you have a 69 and newer car..
down under the dash, on top of the steering column, there are 2 purple wires going to the neutral safety switch and ignition switch.
those are for the solenoid.
find the big red wire on the ignition switch switch (on top of the column with like 15 wires going to it) and tap into that and wire it (but don't cut it- that's the wire that powers the whole car) to one side of the switch, and put one of the purple wires to the other side. depending on where you hook up to the purple wire, you can either have the neutral safety switch work, or just bypass it altogether.

#6 ·
sorry.. didn't see the 67 Camaro part.. my bad..
either way, a good test light and 10 minutes of screwing around, and everything should be easy to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.