Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to start on repairing both #1 body mount pads today on the '69.
Questions: What is the exact dimension between the center point of each #1
body mount hole?
Is there another dimension to triangulate to assure proper alignment?

The original #1 gage holes are in great shape, but the body mount holes are rusted so I cannot know for sure there exact original position.
Is there another way to assure proper mount hole placement?
I've read where guys have welded in an 1/8" plate and hole sawed the mounting hole. How did they spot the hole?
Any replies are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a difficult one for me as well. I had to totally remove the mounting surface on mine, they were so bad.
Once I made the replacement plates, I just centered them on the remaining portion of the mount as best as I could and welded. I had already bored the mounting holes in them. There's still plenty of play once the sub is under the car. I used much larger mounting bolts than original and I still had plenty of slack to move the body around on the frame to align it.
I didn't use the alignment holes at all. They're drilled, but I didn't use them. I just measured, measured, measured and measured some more until I was happy with the sub placement.

I'd get you that measurement you want but the body is in the way.
Thanks for the quick reply.
After reading your post, I'm wondering if we should just weld in the plate, drill only the alignment holes for now. Then when we're installing the sub frame later, after it's in final mock-up position (all front end sheet metal lined up), thread the #1 bolts down from inside the car to mark the proper hole center. Then remove sub frame and drill the mounting holes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great replies.
We've got the #1 body mount plates welded in. I'll post pics later.
And thanks for the great drawing CDJr. I will layout the body mount hole center according to your drawing and see how it lines up during mock up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.