Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am wondering how you all make the rear end sit a tad higher than the front or at least on the same line.
Is there a product out there that you guys use like spring lifters or spring perches or something to make the rear end equal or a tad (1"-1.5") higher than the front. I have a lot of rear sag (probably 2"-2.5") on my 68. Its an all original suspension front and rear.
Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Leave the back alone. Cut half a ring out of the front springs!

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi, I think I would buy a new rear suspension since the one you have is original. The original one probably sags a bit after 40 years. I'm not a suspension guy but that is what I would do. Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1981-CAMARO-SS-FIREBIRD-Rear-Leaf-Shackle-Lift-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335d34c819QQitemZ220607072281QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They also make a shackle lift kit heres one on ebay if you scroll down on the screen and read it all theres some links to show you pictures with them installed on the ebay thread im not sure how much of a lift it is but you could ask the seller. Good luck man :beers:
Very cool! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi, I think I would buy a new rear suspension since the one you have is original. The original one probably sags a bit after 40 years. I'm not a suspension guy but that is what I would do. Good luck!
this is also a good point being that you have original suspension it will sag after all these years a bit so yes james good advice as well :beers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is also a good point being that you have original suspension it will sag after all these years a bit so yes james good advice as well :beers:
As for a new rear suspension...do you both mean just replace the leaf springs and the shocks? I have mono leaf's on the back...what do you suggest I replace it with?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You could add shock extenders. About $20 or less. They screw on the end of your shocks and raise the ride height by about 2". Lots of people dont like them, but if you're just driving around, I think they are fine. I used the aftermarket shackle kit and the shock extenders. I've had them in my car for 7 years so far with no problems.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The shock extenders will not help by themselves. Shackles will do it.
The better idea would be to replace the springs and shocks. All 4

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a set of the jcw 3 leaves there supposedly good my car isn't done though so i can't comment. i think ill keep them until i get the different lowering hotchkis leafs so i can leave it as a roller for now (i keep changing my mind) if your car is a mono leaf and it's original it's probably sagged quite a bit. i assume you saw the post on the jcw 3's that TJS69 hooked you up with then you know they are said in the catalogue to be for 68-72 novas or some year like that not sure without looking it up but they aren't listed for first gen camaros. if you do replace them it will more than likely give you at least a 2 inch lift as opposed to your old monos. one of the problems with the monoleafs after a longer life is they have been known to sag and also been known to snap right behind the front eye. the jcw's are around 135-150$ i think and two new rear shocks will run anywhere from 45$ and up depending on what you get theres alot of choices a set of monroe's for around the 45$ would be fine for a daily runner with new leafs. good luck Brew keep us posted :beers:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
New springs for sure...i had a spring shop here in Tucson make me 4 leaf springs, (had mono's), been there at least 5 years or more. working great. sits lower in front then I wanted. about 23 inches to top of wheel well on fender. running 2 in drop spindles with big block springs. got to watch those speed bumps. good luck j

1 - 15 of 15 Posts