Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at going in with some guys and purchasing a used, open top car trailer and need to see if you guys can help with a fair price. It's and 18' Texas Roll Back trailer that is 5 years old. It's in excellent shape with only some very minor surface rust and a few dings on the fenders. The tires and mechanical parts all seem to be in very good condition. A new, equivalent trailer today retails for about $4,500.

I'm told the trailer has less than 3,000 miles of use. I attached the company’s link so you can check it out, http://www.texasroll-back.com . I want to pay a fair price, but don't want to overpay if the market is soft for these things. The seller is somewhat motivated to get it out of his driveway, but has plenty of money to hold onto if it’s not a reasonable price. Thanks for all your help.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
33,175 Posts
Agree with choptop. More bargaining power is check for trailer tires. These are 5 years old, two years left and they will be determined dry-rotted by the tire manufacturers.

So, if they do not have 'ST' before the tire sizing and a Load Range of C or D, then the tires are not trailer tires. An ST205/75-14 or 15 is a very common trailer tire size. One can get them from Northern Handyman for $50- 60 each. Also, trailer tires have a heavier weight rating than a passenger tire, 1700 lbs. vs. 1400 lbs.

Check to make sure the tires all have the same tread. If they don't, and with 3000 miles on it, one axle is out of alignment. Eyeball down the side of the trailer to see if tires are parallel to bed.

Minor rust and fender dents are common. Any tie-down straps come with it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are great trailers, come in very handy if you have a low ride height vehicle to transport. The guy that bought my old drag race Nova used one of those when he picked the car up, worked slick.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments. The tires were all replaced last year as the owner had one failure due to dry rot while towing his Ferrari. They were replaced with ST tires. Tie downs are included, but I haven't seen them yet to determine how many/type. I did some research with the manufacturer and they said $2,000-$3,000 would be a good price range representing a great deal to almost retail value. Nice estimate choptop!

I did talk him into allowing me to use it to tow my Z/28 to the Hilton Head Concourse d’Elegance this weekend. If all goes well down/back, we’ll talk turkey when I get home. Hopefully, we can come to a reasonable price for all.

Thanks again- Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Steve,

I think that you'll find you were pretty happy with the trailer if you did use it this weekend. I have a '99 Texas Rollback w/ Airdam that I bought from a friend of mine two years ago and I am extremely happy with it. I pull my 69 on it w/ a '00 GMC Sierra 1500 XCab and it pulls like a breeze.
For the record, I paid 3K for mine with new tires, straps and chocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts