Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing restoration on a 67 convertible and I am in need of a engine.
Tag info

06C E
ST67 12667 NOR 137403
TR 765 Z Y1
ED 2ZGS 3L 4N 5BY

The problem I have is, it's missing the original drive train and I have to much invested in the car. I would like to find a date correct engine. What would be the perfect cast date and what would be an acceptable date span. I'm finding early blocks and late, not to many May and June blocks....215 heads?
I have an add in the wanted adds and not for sure what I'm looking for. I would appreciate any and all input...Thanks Bob

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tag info

06C E
ST67 12667 NOR 137403
TR 765 Z Y1
ED 2ZGS 3L 4N 5BY

The problem I have is, it's missing the original drive train and I have to much invested in the car. I would like to find a date correct engine. What would be the perfect cast date and what would be an acceptable date span. I'm finding early blocks and late, not to many May and June blocks....215 heads?
I have an add in the wanted adds and not for sure what I'm looking for. I would appreciate any and all input...Thanks Bob
Bummer, I just sold the following engine to a guy with the same issue here in Ca. Apparently the casting number and the date code work for a Camaro. But it works for a "clone" or "numbers correct" situation.

TO628EH 7Z160294
3917215 GM F147 is June 14th 1967
3917215 GM F7 7 is June 7th 1967

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be the perfect cast date and what would be an acceptable date span. I'm finding early blocks and late, not to many May and June blocks....215 heads?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the perfect cast date and what would be an acceptable date span. I'm finding early blocks and late, not to many May and June blocks....215 heads?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u112/bobjohnson_photos/

No one has opinion on the date? How about the CE block? What warranty did the 67 have? What date CE block would I need for it to be date correct for 06C car? Any help? The pics, the wifes next car, Illinios rust bucket, and almost there 2 years later:hurray: ......Thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You should be looking for a 3902406 or a 3916323 cast before the third week of June. The closer the better. I wouldn't suggest a CE block unless it had one legit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pat, for your input. I have paid the body shop for 900 hours of restoration. I feel it is important to have a motor that is #s correct. I have seen other post showing 3 months between engine cast date and car build date and #s matching. I should have bought a driver....famous last words of a fool....

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u112/bobjohnson_photos/

No one has opinion on the date? How about the CE block? What warranty did the 67 have? What date CE block would I need for it to be date correct for 06C car? Any help? The pics, the wifes next car, Illinios rust bucket, and almost there 2 years later:hurray: ......Thanks Bob
Sometimes the silence is deafening.
No one wants to help create a dishonest car, and answers that could be used for that are often ignored. Sometimes when people put so much money in a project, they feel the only way to make it worthwhile is to fake it and make it matching numbers. I understand wanting to have a correct motor, but does the correct date matter if you are not going to restamp it?
Certain questions like, how do I recreate the broach mark, and where can I get the correct size fonts and gang holder for restamping just don't get answered.
I'm sure it's not your intent to defraud, but down the road you never know what happens.
Nice car by the way, looks like you are doing a great job restoring it. Ever consider a crate engine?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tag info

06C E
ST67 12667 NOR 137403
TR 765 Z Y1
ED 2ZGS 3L 4N 5BY

We have a 67 396/325 block out a Norwood Camaro we will be selling soon. It was from a very late car. I think built in July. It came with our 67 impala ss396 project and is way to late for the car.

Warren

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi there!! I have a long block 396ci engine soon up for sale with the following date parameter and suffix code To911MY with an H10 7 date stamp. 215 ehads are dated G25 7 and F30 7 respectively. Think it might be correct for a '68 396 325 hp engine. Never installed since rebuild. Water Pump and various pulleys are date correct also.
Ted

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi there!! I have a long block 396ci engine soon up for sale with the following date parameter and suffix code To911MY with an H10 7 date stamp. 215 ehads are dated G25 7 and F30 7 respectively. Think it might be correct for a '68 396 325 hp engine. Never installed since rebuild. Water Pump and various pulleys are date correct also.
Ted
It should have a partial vin beside the assembly code. If it starts with 18N post it up here to see if it can be matched up to someones car. Might make someone very happy!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was wondering why there was not much interest in my question, kinda like "another loose cowl tag on eBay".... I have seen lots of high end cars for sale, NOM but #s correct, . I would rather a correct engine than any old engine will do, thanks
I see no problem with restoring your Camaro to this point with a numbers correct drivetrain. The Corvette guys have been doing this for years to promote honesty in their hobby. There is definately a market for these cars and added value for doing so.

I have come forward and turned over my paperwork and pics of my trim tag to CRG and have declared my Camaro is missing its original engine and trans. I felt it was important to document the trim tag before the scum bags can make a perfect repro. It may be something that you or anyone else may want to do especially if the trim tag is only source of history for your car.

Also, there is a scenario that I have yet to see be discussed. I think it would be very important to document a sale and place in a folder, any car that you own that there is a potential for fraud. Let say that you sell your Camaro to someone that has no intension of owning and is just flipping it for a profit and makes false claims. He never transfers ownership of the car to his name. The buyer finds out at a much later time and comes after the last owner of record which is .....you. Just one member's thoughts and ramblings, Phil

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tag info

06C E
ST67 12667 NOR 137403
TR 765 Z Y1
ED 2ZGS 3L 4N 5BY

Hi Bob, we posted that block in ebay. You should be able to find it if you search 3902406 in ebaymotors. Casting date is D 1 7 and stamp date is T0705MY. There are good pictures of the block and numbers in the listing.
Warren

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see no problem with restoring your Camaro to this point with a numbers correct drivetrain. The Corvette guys have been doing this for years to promote honesty in their hobby. There is definately a market for these cars and added value for doing so.

I have come forward and turned over my paperwork and pics of my trim tag to CRG and have declared my Camaro is missing its original engine and trans. I felt it was important to document the trim tag before the scum bags can make a perfect repro. It may be something that you or anyone else may want to do especially if the trim tag is only source of history for your car.

Also, there is a scenario that I have yet to see be discussed. I think it would be very important to document a sale and place in a folder, any car that you own that there is a potential for fraud. Let say that you sell your Camaro to someone that has no intension of owning and is just flipping it for a profit and makes false claims. He never transfers ownership of the car to his name. The buyer finds out at a much later time and comes after the last owner of record which is .....you. Just one member's thoughts and ramblings, Phil
Thanks Phil, for your input. I would of never put this kind of money in this car if I did not plan on keeping it.....just wanted it to be right.....know anyone that would pay $50000 or $55000 for a roller? Me either! That's what I have in it . Just something I wanted to do right and pass it down to my son (now 13) when the time comes....Thanks for breaking the silence :beers: Bob

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bob,

If your going to spend the money on a block and build up. It should be a correct casting period. Anyone who recommends anything different is giving you bad advice. The out of pocket expense associated with attaining and building this motor will be costly and would defy common sense to do it any other way.

My son is 21, give him the keys to my Camaro when the time comes? Hmm, that still seems like that is a long way off. Doesnt that day also fall on the final day of reckoning? Phil

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a TO6O8 ED motor.406 Block.7B210124 vin still on the engine pad.Original 215 heads with F17 casting dates.Has Edelbrock Aluminum intake with holley 780.Sitting in my old unrestored 1968 Nova SS.Motors been in car since the mid 70's.If interested PM me at [email protected] Dan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My son is 21, give him the keys to my Camaro when the time comes? Hmm, that still seems like that is a long way off. Doesnt that day also fall on the final day of reckoning? Phil[/QUOTE]

LOL, the kid will probably be a gear head like his dad. I sat a wondered when that time would be the second I said it. Probably the day they plant me in the ground. Or should the car be the casket and let him build his own.....:yes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.