Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should My 69 ss with a manual 4 speed have a neutral safety swich or a cluch safety switch. As it is now the car will turn over without pushing in the cluch regardless if it is in gear or neutral. I am asking because I want to goto the strip for the 1st time on wed. and the rules state that "a neutral safty swich is mandatory.

·
10,157 Posts
Aren't they talking about automatic transmissions?
I can't imagine they'd require a neutral safety switch for a 4 speed car.

·
Super Moderator
32,758 Posts
As David suggests, neutral safety switch for automatic trans, nothing for a manual trans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think my car (69 w/m21) has a neutral safty switch. When we just put the trans back in I rember my dad asking me if I wanted it hooked up. I also rember him getting angry about it 12 years or so ago as he was trying to start my car. I always step on the clutch so its just second nature for me. If I get a chance today I'll stick my head in the car and snap a picture. My door buzzer still works also...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
'69's required depressing the clutch to start, but many people bypassed the switch. 67/68 didn't have this feature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
'69's required depressing the clutch to start, but many people bypassed the switch. 67/68 didn't have this feature.
Yes..I do have step on the clutch to start the car..in fact the clutch ball broke one day on me 50 miles from home..I drove it home with no clutch, starting it in gear..and power shifting the whole way. I still had to push the pedel down to start it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I could never understand why someone would bypass a neutral safty switch. Its not really a big deal and could save you from killing someone or worse slamming your nose in to the back of the garage.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I could never understand why someone would bypass a neutral safty switch. Its not really a big deal and could save you from killing someone or worse slamming your nose in to the back of the garage.
Mostly because we were young and stupid. Now I'm older and only dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts