Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to trouble shoot an intermittent starting problem on my '68 vert. Starts ok sometimes, sometimes I just hear a "click" near the starter.
The starter is new. If the N/Safety switch is bad, will I hear a "click" or would there be absoluetly no sound? I recall from trying to start another car I had in drive that you didn't get any sound at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: Neutral Safety Switch - Will I hear a "click" if it's bad?

If you're hearing a click, the switch is doing its job. If we assume that the solenoid is new, having been replaced with the starter, I'd look at the cables from the battery. A loose ground on either end or where the cable terminates into the terminal will give you problems. HTH

·
10,153 Posts
Re: Neutral Safety Switch - Will I hear a "click" if it's bad?

Try bypassing the neutral safety switch with a jumper, also try starting the car in Neutral, or hold the key in start position while moving the shifter. Use caution when trying this in case it starts and you are shifting into gear.

As the switch wears and accumulates dirt, the resistance goes up and may very well cause the trouble, it's also coated with grease inside so when this mixes with dust, it wears out. I've also seen starting failure with a worn ignition switch. Jumping around each component will tell you which one is bad.

I work on a farm where pickups are subjected to many many stops and starts along with lots of dirt, so we see these problems often.
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts