Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install a Neutral safety switch in my car so I can pass tech at the local races this year. The trans is a turbo 400 and I have a B&M Mega shifter, is the switch on the shifter or on the tranny, if it can be on both which is the easiest to set up. I need to figure this out asap because our races are next weekend.
I also need to know how to hook it up.
Thanks
Dino

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I have a Hurst V-matic II and there is a neutral safety switch in the shifter. I wired it by disconnecting the neutral safety switch on the steering column (its a two wire plug) and running wires from each prong of the plug (on the cars harness not the switch) to the safety switch in my new shifter. This eliminated the factory safety switch and instead uses the switch inside my new shifter.

You can also leave the factory safety switch on the column in place and connect the trans linkage to the column shift linkage. That way when you shift it on the floor the linkage moves the indicator on the steering column. It will work this way only if you are careful with the linkage adjustments -- for it to work correctly the steering column indicator needs to read "N" and "P" when the trans is actually in Neutral or Park.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, would everything you just said be the same if it was originally a 4 spd car, converted to an auto, I'm having trouble finding the plug you are talking about.

Thanks

Dino

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hey Eric,

I am putting in a V-matic 2 myself. So the two-part switch is the factory safety switch? Which is the hookup on the V-matic shifter that you jumped that to?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 4 speed had a different switch that was attached to the clutch pedal. U'll need an automatic neutral safety swith that should be attached to the shifter.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
On the V-matic 2 there is just a little two-prong microswitch. The switch is normally open, and it closes when the shifter is in either neutral or park. Just disconnect the factory switch and rewire it to the switch in your V-matic 2. Just follow the directions in the V-matic 2 p-work and make sure it works correctly before you call the job done.

I'm pretty sure a factory 4 speed car would have a different neutral safety switch than an automatic car, but the wiring harness may be the same. A switch on the clutch pedal makes sense, but I've never personally looked at one on a manual trans car. Either way it is still probably a two wire plug.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Dino-

NSW mounts to the tunnel in a car with a t400. As your changing the shifter it will very somewhat. They run about $29. The switch is connected between the ign sw and the starter solenoid on the purple wire.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dino,
I have a B&M Mega shifter in my car now, There are 2 micro switches that mount to the drivers side of the shifter mechanism using a couple of #6x3/4 screws (they should have been in the supplied parts if the shifter is new or you can pick up the same switches at a Radio Shack or simular store)(I have the installation book with the shifter still for diagrams and part numbers). One is for the back up lights and the other is for the neutral safety switch. The micro switch arm follows the plate on the shifter as it moves and falls into detent/bumps to make the required contacts.

I wired mine in by connecting a 12 volt power source to one side and the other to a relay from Painless (the Hot Start relay kit) and I ran the Purple starter wires through the relay so that I would not melt the micro switches (18 gage wire connectors) with that much current going through the purple wire (12 gage wire). Very easy to connect and passes tech plus I now have a bump start switch in the engine compartment that only works in Park or Neutral. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts