Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 RS/SS 350 4 speed.

Did it have a neutral safety switch?

I can't find any reference to it in the factory manuals.

The car is now has a '97 LT1 and Richmond 6 speed.

If I wanted to install said switch, how??

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know if the original four speed had a neutral safety switch. I've never seen one. I don't think that the six speed you have in there now has one either, but I could be wrong. Most car manufacturers put clutch safety switches on their car now. This means that you have to have the clutch depressed before the starter will operate. My 69 Camaro has provisions under the dash for one of these switches. I don't have it hooked up yet. When the previous owner converted it to an automatic, he cut the wires going to the switch and connected them together to bypass the switch. I converted it back to a four speed, but haven't reconnected the clutch safety switch. The wiring is pretty simple. All you need is a switch of some kind that is in the closed position when the clutch pedal is depressed. For the wiring, you should be able to refer to your factory manual wiring diagrams. If 67 doesn't have it, then look at a diagram for a 69. You never know, there may already be a switch under there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
On a manual trans car it would be on the clutch pedal and would disable starter circuit until clutch pedal is depressed

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know on the '69s with the muncies anyway, they had to be in reverse for something (key removal / starting) but I know for sure in '69 they had a cluch safety switch

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks....

That;s what I thought...the '67 4 speed didn't come with one. My Richmond 6 doesn't come with one either.

I was asking, as I think I'm supposed to have one at NHRA tracks?

Thanks again guys...

David

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i believe every GM car made in the 60's, and possibly earlier, that had a manual transmission, had safety switch under the dash hooked to the clutch pedal. i've seen cars as old aa a 66 chevelle that had it. but, it isn't a readily available replacement part.
if you have ever accidentally cranked the car over while the car is in gear(or had a kid do it), then you would want one.i want one for my nova that i put a 4 speed in, but no one makes them, and are always missing in cars in boneyards.they would be relatively cheap to make, and they could probably sell quite a few of them if they were to tool up and make it.hell, sell it with the clutch pedal kits that they sell.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
775 Posts
I can't say for other GM cars, but under the dash on my 69 Camaro, there is a switch that has a little rod on it that hooks to the clutch pedal. When the clutch is depressed, the rod moves the switch and closes the circuit allowing the car to be started. If your car does not have this, it may have originally been an automatic car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts