Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my 69 out of Michigan. Was in storage for 30 years and is in excellent condition! All original metal and top. White ivory houndstooth interior. Has an early 90's 350 motor with a Tremic 5 speed trans. The car is an SS car, but from what I have read that there were Camaro Convertibles in mid 69 were not given an X code. My Camaro was built the last week of August in 69. So how do I know it's a true SS car?

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Welcome, nice car. Front discs, 12 bolt?

·
Premium Member
6,658 Posts
Your cowl tag is showing your car was built 4th week of Sept 1968 so it’s an early car. No X codes on cowl tags at Norwood until Dec 1968.

It was originally Garnet Red with black top. White standard interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your cowl tag is showing your car was built 4th week of Sept 1968 so it’s an early car. No X codes on cowl tags at Norwood until Dec 1968.

It was originally Garnet Red with black top. White standard interior.
How do you know it was built in 68?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Car has the early style trim tag on it is how he knows it is an Aug '68 car vs an Aug '69 car. An SS car would have had disc brakes originally. Look at the drivers side rear frame rail and see if the plate for the dual exhaust hangar is welded to it. Unless you have paperwork or the original engine, it's going to be hard to prove it is an SS.

·
Premium Member
6,658 Posts
Thats correct, your cowl tag is the early version used in Sept 68 and Sept of 69 tags are larger.
Convertibles dont have the dual exhaust bracket on the drivers frame rail as the frames were thicker.

Whats the stamping on the passenger side, forward-facing axle tube?

·
15,104 Posts
Drum brakes front mean most likely not an SS.

Reactions: blue69camaro
1 - 12 of 12 Posts