Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got on Firewheelclassics.com and they're advertising frame mounts for 69 Camaro big blocks!!! I've been searching a while and this seems too good to be true. These should be quality pieces, shouldn't they?

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
jonT,

Check the post in the Engine and Drivetrain Section by allcamaro called Aftermarket Engine Mounts.

It might be helpful. pdq67

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pdq67 - thanks for the reply. I checked the post you referred me to...although I'm still a bit confused. I do believe in quality motor mounts (got the Auto Zone motor mounts once...once!) but are you saying the frame mounts are junk as well if not GM?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
No, I'm saying that there are different motor mounts that fit different frame mounts due to the many applications. I mention this because someone posted that their motor mounts didn't fit their frame mounts. They might have motor mounts that DON'T fit their application. Thats all. pdq67

·
Registered
233 Posts
They have advertised the frame mounts for awhile but when I called them, they only had the driver's side. And they couldn't get the passenger side. I used my small block ones. It lowered the motor about 1/2" and back about 3/4". Putting the belt on the lower pulley was tight but went on. Every thing else worked out fine.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You might try www.camaros.com they had the discontinued mount back at the beginning of the year for the 67-68's. They claimed to have plenty of new and used sets at that time. I don't think they are being reproduced yet, good luck!

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 11-09-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Just got a postcard from D&R today besides flyer from Motion Software. D&R now has their complete catalog on line. Might try them. pdq67

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked out the D&R site - they have the '69 frame mounts. Only $309/pr. I think I'll get an extra set just in case.

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
JonT,
Try NPD before you order your frame mounts and see what they have. Looks like bb '69 frame mounts are $24.80 each side. pdq67

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've heard that some people are using the 68 frame mounts. About three months ago they were about $25 each. I bought mine about 2 months ago and paid $125 and thought that was bad.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I would still like to know what the difference is between the BB and SB frame mounts. Me and my brother put a LS-6 in his X77 Z-28 about 12 years ago and had no problems with it. We used Moroso solid engine mounts and it bolted up easily. No problems with headers, cross member, pulleys or anything. Does anybody have any pictures that show the difference in them? One more thing, what is the difference in the '67, '68, and '69 frame mounts? I thought these would be the same too.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 11-26-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
big gear head,

I will tell you tomorrow night. Just got the old 406 out tonight and I gota change mounts so will set stock '67 small block right next to stock '67 big block mounts and will measure and post back. pdq67

·
10,142 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but I think the drivers side is taller and the pass side is same as a small block?

Not really shure.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
294 Posts
on 67 frame mounts, the drivers side is taller and the pass side is shorter to offset the engine over to clear the steering box.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My understanding is that the driver's side mount is taller which will indeed give extra clearance around the steering. Believe me, I'd like nothing better than to run with small block mounts, especially since I yanked the small block this past weekend and found out the previous owner/dumb*%s welded in the small block frame mounts. GRRR!!!
However, I'm not sure I want to risk the potential problems (there have been lots already) such as engine hitting wiper motor, power steering booster, headers not fitting, etc.

One thing I don't know is why there are different frame mounts for 67-68's and for 69's. I mean, same frame, same big block, etc. Why change?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally found the big block mounts!!! Year One and NPD were both out but Classic Industries had them in stock - I had to settle for '68's but at least they're GM. Price was $34 each which I gladly paid. Whew! I was really starting to get worried. I'm posting this in the hopes of saving others the wild goose chase!

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Here goes guys, just measured the difference between '67/'68 small block frame mounts and big block frame mounts.

Drivers side is about 1/4" to 3/8" higher and moved 1/2"+ forward.

Passenger side about a 1/4" to 3/8" lower and again 1/2"+ forward.

Seems the engine is rotated and not just raised. Take it to the bank!! pdq67

1 - 20 of 25 Posts