Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So I finally talked my father out of his Camaro. He bought it brand new and drove it until he parked it in 1975 and it has sat in a garage ever since. Everything is original with around 78k miles on it. The small barn it was parked in started coming down around it and we moved it to his garage in town about 8 years ago. Just this week I finally convinced him to let me take it and try to restore it to it's former beauty.

I could use a little bit of help with it and I turned here for some information. It is a 1968 Convertible. The Color is Ash Gold. It 327/210 hp engine in it. It came with a 4 speed on the floor, which is something I noticed isn't as common. It also has a front stripe around the front which he said came factory. It is a non RS/SS as far as I can tell. I'll post a couple pictures. It seems to be in pretty good condition when comparing it to other cars of it's year.

I talked to a shop here in town and they said they take on engine rebuilds like this during the winter in their down time so I will probably have it worked on this winter, trying to keep it as stock as possible.

I'm sure I will be asking some questions in the future. Thank you everyone for reading my story.

Alex

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Welcome to TC. Great story and you will find a bunch of great guys and gals with a ton of knowledge.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yes plane jane car, does this car have a 12-bolt? If it was a 327/275 Car then a more rare car, still 1 one owner car still a big deal. Have fun you came to the right place for information and support.

What is the code on the front pad, are you are it is a 210HP car, 2-Barrel?
Jeff G.
69 Vert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Information from the Cowl plate:

Body by fisher
ST 68 12467 LOS 00417/ Body
TR 721 G-2 Paint

I'm not sure if that is what you were looking for? I have a picture of the engine, but I guess I've already maxed out my uploads. It says 327 turbo fire and 210 horsepower on top.

·
11,281 Posts
Very nice! Hold on to EVERY original part you take off, do not throw ANYTHING away. most of the original parts can be refurbished/rebuilt instead of using incorrect repro parts. Do not let the machine shop deck your engine numbers!

The ash gold deluxe interior is very rare and you may not be able to replace it so you should try to clean/repair/save every part! (except for the carpet, that can go once you get the new one installed after using it as a template on how to cut the new one :D) good luck!

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Welcome, Alex. Nice story, great looking Camaro.
As others have suggested, save the old parts.
With a 210 HP engine, you would have a cast iron Saginaw transmission, a 10-bolt rear axle (bolt count relating to number of bolts on both functions, holding on the inspection cover and securing the ring gear to carrier inside), more than likely a 3.08 gear ratio, and monoleaf rear springs. You can get the rear axle code from the front of the pass axle tube - take a wire brush or sandpaper to get the numbers.

My suggestion is to take pictures and make an album during disassembly for use later in life as a reference.
As Brian suggested, read up over at camaros.org to learn about her.

And there is nothing wrong with the rear tire, it is flat just in one spot - no problem.
Does she have a name?

Oh, correct year, BTW.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Welcome to TC!

Looks to have deluxe interior also. What other options does it have (besides V8/4-speed combo)?

Correct year????? We all know that 67 is the only correct year... Gotta have wings if ya wanna fly!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Definetly has the Custom Interior (aka deluxe) and Z21 exterior style trim.
Gold vinyl soft trim should be available, but colored hard plastic trim will only be available in black and require dying gold. So save any gold trim thats usable.

·
Registered
410 Posts
very nice camaro ur very lucky to have and maney years enjoying her Happy Motoring
Welcome Alex to team camaro P.S. i like hearing stories like urs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the welcome. As you can tell my little one car garage gives me very little room to manuever. I'm planning on this being a true project car and it's going to take a little bit of time. When I start digging into it I'll make sure to take a lot of pictures. I'll try and check around the forums for guides before asking too many questions.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Welcom Alex! you have a great start and the best part is its all there -original engine trans and diff - not too many here are anymore! please keep this one bone stock or save to install at a later date. If you get the urge to pump the engine up- start with another block and well you know what were getting at. i had a chance to help a friend bring a stock 68 to texas this summer on power tour - all original triple black car 327 and powerglide- a real nice ride - wait till you get it running again and the looks people will give you it will amaze you - not to mentions of all the offers to buy it! really neet heirloom you have there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts